Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Autumn crops - Pak Choi, Mizuna and Napa Cabbage

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Autumn crops - Pak Choi, Mizuna and Napa Cabbage

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:20 am

Good Fall Crops where I live is Asian Cabbages, Spinach, Radish, Winter Salads and Parsley. I would usually go for crops that can take a few degrees minus, and more important that can take the damp soil and less hours of sun that comes with the spring. One of the best things coming in my Garden right now is the two Raised Beds with Pak Choi, Mizuna Salad, Parsley and Chinese Cabbage or Napa Cabbage.

I could not wait.. so this was the first thing to move in to my Extended Kitchen Garden before it was even done. 

Sowing Pak Choi, Mizuna and Napa Cabbage the first week of September. I started them indoors but moved the tray outdoors as soon as they had sprouted (you want to lower the temperature as soon as they have sprouted to keep the plants from becoming to tall and spindly..). By the 17:th of September they looked like this and were ready to move into the new Garden Bed. They looked like this:

I moved the Grass Clipping that I've used as Ground Coverage to the side to create nice rows for the Cabbages.

Water

You can see the automatic drip watering system showing in this picture.

Then I put a Glass Frame on the Bed to keep the Birds out, and to create a nice Climate for the tiny Plants.

The Plants grow rather quickly. This is how they have been growing the last month. Little Mizuna:

Little Pak Choi:

Little Napa Cabbage:

It's growing good in the Garden Beds:

One odd Mizuna mixed in with the Pak Choi:

Mizuna:

Napa Cabbage:

Pak Choi:

Will start picking Mizuna soon, and wait a bit with Pak Choi and of course with the Napa Cabbage.

Ava R.

Re: Autumn crops - Pak Choi, Mizuna and Napa Cabbage

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:38 am

Keep updated on the cabbage!
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Update on the Cabbage. I'm always impressed with these crops. It's been cold and warm every other day.. We've had snow and about -10 degrees Celsius. And these are still going strong. However I had a small accident with a broken Window on the Mizuna and Napa Cabbage Bed. Had to fix that today and hope that they will recover.

The Pak Choi Bed a few weeks ago before the Winter came (also some Parsley in this Bed):

Mizuna and Napa Cabbage:

First Frost on the Windows that are covering the Raised Beds:

Lovely feeling to lift the Windows and see that the Pak Choi is doing just fine. It looks a bit cold, but thats ok:

Mizuna and Napa Cabbage:

Then.. a lot of snow:

Don't really know how this happened, but one of my covering Windows broke with the first snow! I did not clean it up that day, knowing that warmer weather was expected within a few days:

Under the non-broken Window Glass, the Pak Choi was still doing fine.

Warmer weather today and I went out to the Mizuna/Napa Cabbage bed to clean up the broken glass:

Pak Choi still doing fine and still growing. This is an amazing fall crop!

Covering with new Windows:

And.. harvesting some Pak Choi and putting them in the Wok with Salt and Pepper for dinner. Lovely!
Image¨
Ava R.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:53 am

What does each taste like?

Return to “Growing Other Vegetables”