Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
FlatFarmer

Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:56 am

I've been growing chillies for one season (see my first season in this post: growing chilli for the first time). I found out that i started my chilli seeds a bit later than others last year since i started them on the 9th of january... so i really plan to start earlier this year. i have read that december is a good month to start the plants indoors.. but i also know that some of my plants did not really have enough time for the chillies to ripe before autumn came this year. so.. can i start even earlier like now in november?

Ava R.

Re: Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:05 am

You can as long as you start them indoors. I would recommend having them be placed outside after a few months. But to not freeze the plants place outside for this amount of time...

1 hours outside(1st time) repeat for three days

Gradually increase the hours outside every two to three days! :) in
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:29 pm

FlatFarmer wrote:I've been growing chillies for one season (see my first season in this post: growing chilli for the first time). I found out that i started my chilli seeds a bit later than others last year since i started them on the 9th of january... so i really plan to start earlier this year. i have read that december is a good month to start the plants indoors.. but i also know that some of my plants did not really have enough time for the chillies to ripe before autumn came this year. so.. can i start even earlier like now in november?
You can start in november, but I'd recommend to add extra lights to avoid tall and leggy chilli plants. I think I'll start next weekend. :-) Did you start in november already?
FlatFarmer

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

I did not start yet.. but probably i will start very very soon. I just had a regular lamp last year and i think that the plants were fine so i think i will try that again. :)
bluebutterfly123

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Woah! December planting? Lol nice! I'm the only one that start seeds in my family (everyone usually just buy the plants from the shops coming planting outside time).. So when I said I was going to start earlier this yr.. They all think the plants will die.. So they keep asking me how they're doing.. Lol but I must admit it's like a jungle in my house right now.. Thank God I put up the polytunnel otherwise half my living room became a greenhouse for the last few weeks

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
LittleChili

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am

bluebutterfly123 wrote:Woah! December planting? Lol nice! I'm the only one that start seeds in my family (everyone usually just buy the plants from the shops coming planting outside time).. So when I said I was going to start earlier this yr.. They all think the plants will die.. So they keep asking me how they're doing.. Lol but I must admit it's like a jungle in my house right now.. Thank God I put up the polytunnel otherwise half my living room became a greenhouse for the last few weeks Image

Hello bluebutterfly123! I can very much relate to that jungle! I usually start chilli seeds in late december. Especially if it's varieties that takes a lot of time to grow. I have friends that always start in the beginning of december (but that does require a lot of grow lights).. 
bluebutterfly123

Re: RE: Re: Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 am

LittleChili wrote:
bluebutterfly123 wrote:Woah! December planting? Lol nice! I'm the only one that start seeds in my family (everyone usually just buy the plants from the shops coming planting outside time).. So when I said I was going to start earlier this yr.. They all think the plants will die.. So they keep asking me how they're doing.. Lol but I must admit it's like a jungle in my house right now.. Thank God I put up the polytunnel otherwise half my living room became a greenhouse for the last few weeks Image

Hello bluebutterfly123! I can very much relate to that jungle! I usually start chilli seeds in late december. Especially if it's varieties that takes a lot of time to grow. I have friends that always start in the beginning of december (but that does require a lot of grow lights).. 
Definitely littlechilli! Last yr I did my first garden.. But I started in mid may... I didn't need anything for them the grew wonderfully with just water and a spot on my living room floor right next to the big bright windows..
This yr I started in March.. And most of the first batch was very leggy.. Not much Sun yet since it's still cloudy pretty much always.. So I had to relocate to the basement and add grow lights and reflecting sheets, and from that it went to a polytunnel in the backyard.. A huge amount of work to start 2 months earlier.. Lol

but definitely worth it because there are a lot of plant species that I wasn't able to grow last yr..and they were slower to start producing than the store bought ones... And I have so much more of each plant this yr.. And will hopefully grow at the same rate as the store bought ones (I don't think I'll be buying any this yrImage)