Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Chilli Seed Saving experiment - Floating vs. Non Floating Seeds

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
LittleChili

Chilli Seed Saving experiment - Floating vs. Non Floating Seeds

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Some of you might have seen my post on How to save Chilli Seeds. When I save Chilli Seeds for next season I always run the Seeds through the Floating Test, meaning that I simply let the seeds soak in Water for 24 hours and throw away all the seeds that are still floating the next day.

But.. you need to question everything you know.. right? Last season I started to wonder if the Floating Test really works, so I saved both Floating and Non Floating Seeds (separately of course) to be able to compare them this season. 

Recap pictures from last season:
(see all pictures from that post here.)

I started my Chilli Seeds today, and got the experiment started by sowing both Floating and Non Floating Chilli Seeds. The varieties that I'm testing are Hungarian Hot Wax and Jalapeno. I started 2 Floating Seeds and 2 Non Floating Seeds of each variety. Let's hope that's enough for conclusions later this year. 

LittleChili

Re: Chilli Seed Saving experiment - Floating vs. Non Floating Seeds

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Sooo.. when it comes to sprouting - the test is not that clear.. 

For Jalapeno: No one of the floating Seeds are Sprouting. Both of the non floating Seeds are sprouting. That is exactly the result that I was expecting.

For Hungarian Hot Wax: One of each is Sprouting! This was not what I expected! I will give it some more time and I do realise that I should have started more Seeds of each to be able to say for sure...