Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

DIY Mini Aquaponic System

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
Ava R.

DIY Mini Aquaponic System

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Should I make a post about a DIY Mini Aquaponic system?

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: DIY Mini Aquaponic System

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Ava R. wrote:Should I make a post about a DIY Mini Aquaponic system?
I would love to see that! I moved your question to this new topic - so you can update this topic with your DIY Mini Aquaponic System. When do you plan to start?
Ava R.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Todaty or tomorrow
bluebutterfly123

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Have u started one ava? I have had a mini one for a few months now.. Made a huge difference on my low light house plants.. But not much luck with veggies.. I'll try moving it outside during the summer and see how it goes..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Ava R.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:11 pm

My mom totally didn't want one in the house a few months ago but now she kinda is up for the idea. Could I see your setup?
bluebutterfly123

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

The one I started was back in November last I think.. I tried vegetables but unfortunately at this time of year we don't get very much sunlight.. So most sun loving plants didn't survive.. Or I transferred to regular soil.. I did purchase a grow light for an indoor greenhouse.. But once my garden plants are transferred outside I'll remake the frame to hold the aquaponics system.. It also will be changed into the blue barrel system you probably have seen.. Depending on my garden layout plans for this yr.. I will either move the aquaponics outside or to the basement..

Back to the current system.. It's very simple the bottom container has the fish in it along with a water pump.. It's on a timer 2 hrs on 2 hrs off..water Hose goes into the plant container..and drains back into the fish container..
So far I lost a few goldfish the first 2 days... After that it's been 5 months and I haven't lost any since..the water became a bit murky for about 2 months.. But now it's been pretty clear.. I can easily see the fish swim around.. All I do is add water to the tank.. I never removed the water since I started...

The plants were house plants that I ended up almost killing because they didn't get watered..i wasn't sure they would make it.. But as you can see they are thriving
20170404_163521.jpg
20170404_163549.jpg
20170404_163620.jpg
Theses aluminum foil on the side there to protect the tank from the sun.. (stops algae growth)

Ava R.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:04 pm

So is there no water pump? I am going to try and make one without one. I am going to try and make one like this...
bluebutterfly123

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:13 am

There is a water pump.. It's in the fish container..

FYI bettas need some very clean water, and a bigger tank than a vase.... I tried using one of mine in a mini system like your pic..but a bigger container.. But still he got very sick (fin rot).. I removed him and treated him as soon as I noticed he behaviour change... Luckily he recovered and his fins are growing back.. I use goldfish in my aquaponics..
The water would need to be changed constantly in a system like that.. Because poop would just sit at the bottom.. A water pump would draw that water out and into the plant where it's needed for nutrients... Making water changes less necessary.. If u go to my profile there is an aquaponics group I've joined a while back that give great information.. Way more than even I know.. I'm just wetting my feet in it myself.. Lol

Return to “Other Tips, Tools & Techniques”