Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Fix Chilli Plant Nutrient Deficiencies with Kitchen Scraps or other Household Items

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
LittleChili

Fix Chilli Plant Nutrient Deficiencies with Kitchen Scraps or other Household Items

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:30 pm

This is my homemade list of quick and easy Chilli Nutrient Hacks. I’ve built this list during the years I’ve been growing Chillies. It’s basically a list describing the nutrient deficiency symptom, and how I have learned to fix the problem with kitchen scraps or other household things that I’m likely to have at home as fertilizers. It's not very fancy and not super precise solutions, but they have been working for my Plants when they need an extra boost in a specific direction. I do find it more charming than using Store bought fancy nutrient mixes.. even though I do use prepared liquid nutrient mixes on a regular base as a general routine to keep the plants strong and healthy.

Problem: New leaves on the top of the plant misshapen or look curly. Older/existing leaves are still green. This is likely signs of Calcium deficiency.
How to fix it: Eggshells contains a lot of Calcium. Collect eggshells, wash/clean them, grind them into powder and sprinkle around the base of the plant before watering.

Problem: Leaves on the top of the plant are light green. Leaves further down on the plant are yellow and shriveled. This is likely signs of Nitrogen deficiency.
How to fix it: Coffee Grounds contains nitrogen. Mix into water, leave overnight and water your Chilli with this homemade compost tea the next day.

Problem: Leaves are yellow around the edges and at the tips. Yellow Spots appears on the leaves. This is likely signs of Potassium deficiency
How to fix it: Banana peels contains a lot of potassium and adds potassium to the plant as they break down. For Outdoor Chillies, you can chop up some Banana peels and sprinkle it around the base of the plant. It’s also supposed to fight of aphids – but I’m not sure about that.

Problem: Leaves at the bottom of the plant turns yellow (from inwards) and veins are still green. This is probably due to Magnesium deficiency.
How to fix it: Epsom salt is almost always good for Chilli Plants. It makes the roots grow better and I usually ad 1 tablespoon to 1 litre of water when the plants are small. Later in the season you can add 1 tablespoon directly around the base of the plant before watering.

Some other deficiencies that I have seen, but not identified nutrient hacks for, are:
  • New leaves are very bright yellow (or even white) and have green veins. Older/existing leaves are unaffected. This is likely signs of Iron deficiency
  • Leaves are very dark and falls off. This is probably due to Phosphate deficiency.
Maybe you guys have any suggestions? And what are your experiences?

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Fix Chilli Plant Nutrient Deficiencies with Kitchen Scraps or other Household Items

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 pm

Great Topic Idea! I'm almost looking forward to the next curling leaf to try this.. ;-) Thank you! This will be a featured topic - for sure!