Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Garden Slugs - How do you get rid of them?

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
Sanna
Site Admin

Garden Slugs - How do you get rid of them?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Garden Slugs! I had a Slug invasion in my garden last summer, and tried Cornmeal/Cornflour as a method for to reduce the number of Slugs (more about that in this post: Getting rid of Garden Slugs - Is Cornmeal really working?)

I plan to test a few different ways to get rid of the slugs this year (like Milk Carton traps, Beer traps and Cornmeal traps). Do you have problems with Garden Slugs? How do you get rid of them?

Some "inspiration pictures" from last summer to get the ideas going:

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Garden Slugs - How do you get rid of them?

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:57 pm

I already see signs of slugs in my Raised Beds. Starting Cornflour/Cornmeal traps today.

gardenofeden

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 pm

What ratio for this . Is it 50/50

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 pm

gardenofeden wrote:What ratio for this . Is it 50/50

Hmm.. I might have a translation issue, you need to help me out. :) When I run "majsmjöl" which is the product i use (in my local language) through Google Translate I get both Cornflour and Cornmeal. I actually thought that it was different regional translation for the same products.. So what's the difference between cornflour and cornmeal?
Sanna
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Slugs! Totally invading my garden again. I thought that the ground mulch around my raised beds, and also the rough surface on my raised beds would make my garden more difficult for the slugs to get into. But no! The slugs are now laughing at these "challenges", climbing all over the garden and snacking at my vegetables.

Time to set the cornmeal traps for this season!

Sanna
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Look at this slug.. chewing away on my plants!

I'm trying the beer traps aswell @nige. Is this the right setup? Should I bury it more?

bluebutterfly123

Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 pm

I have seen snails and slugs in my yard.. Mostly in the front.. But I don't see damage to any of my vegetables as of yet... Not this year and not last yr.. So I I'll leave them be as of now.. Hope we can stay friends, and not become mortal enemies

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Raez

Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am

Sanna wrote:

Hmm.. I might have a translation issue, you need to help me out. :) When I run "majsmjöl" which is the product i use (in my local language) through Google Translate I get both Cornflour and Cornmeal. I actually thought that it was different regional translation for the same products.. So what's the difference between cornflour and cornmeal?
Swedish majsmjöl is the same as finely ground cornmeal. In the US, it's called corn flour. But in the UK, I think it's called something else. It's not to be confused with corn starch, which is white in color and similar to potato starch. There seems to be a confusion because different countries use different names. For instance, in the UK, cornflour is the same as corn starch.

http://www.differencebtw.com/difference ... orn-flour/
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Raez wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am
Sanna wrote:

Swedish majsmjöl is the same as finely ground cornmeal. In the US, it's called corn flour. But in the UK, I think it's called something else. It's not to be confused with corn starch, which is white in color and similar to potato starch. There seems to be a confusion because different countries use different names. For instance, in the UK, cornflour is the same as corn starch.

http://www.differencebtw.com/difference ... orn-flour/
Thank you for clarifying that! I got totally lost in translation with this one.