Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Grow Pumpkin and Squash from Seeds

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Grow Pumpkin and Squash from Seeds

Tue May 10, 2016 5:38 pm

I started this years Pumpkin and Squash Seeds a few weeks ago. I usually start them 4-6 weeks before i think that they are ready to move outdoors. 

I start them in my 'Pluggbox'. Trying to only start a few seeds of each Plant. These are sharing a tray with a Hanging Basket Cucumber, Malabar Spinach and Sugar snap Peas.

Pumpkin seeds and Cucumber seeds are large, and easy to handle. I place them about 1-2 cm into the soil.

I love the way these type of seedlings grow. They look so strong from the start.

They are somewhere on the edge of this tray.. Sugar Snap Peas kind of taking over.. 

This is how they looked when I transplanted them:

And now they have a few more days to grow indoors in their pots before I move them outdoors.

heatherdarko

Re: Grow Pumpkin and Squash from Seeds

Fri May 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Did you plant them deeper when you transplanted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun May 22, 2016 5:56 pm

No, I did not. I know that you should not plant Cucumbers deeper because of the stem being sensitive to overwatering and not growing new roots as Tomatoes does - so I figured that Pumpkin and Squash might be the same.. Not sure though.
Ava R.

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 am

Is there any types of high producing small squash? I have a very small space and want to taste the deliciousness of homegrown squash
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm harvesting the Squash / Zucchini continuously. I usually try to pick them when they are quite small, but this one was hiding. I planted these in my 'Three Sisters' Companion Planting and they have been thriving there. It's hard to keep up with the harvest, because Zucchinis are fast producers once they start. 

Most Zucchinis is perfect for Container Gardening. Just make sure that you have quite large pot, and make sure to water it a lot when it start to produce. 
Ava R.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Any small types of melon?
Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:38 am

Ava R. wrote:Any small types of melon?
No Melons yet. I fear that I was a bit late moving them to the Mini Greenhouse - so the season might be to short for them.. Unfortunately!
Ava R.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:11 am

Im trying out scallop squash! Just recieved new containers for my garden... What should I put in them?