Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Chillies from Seed

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
LittleChili

Re: Growing Chillies from Seed

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Decided to try one of my early Jalapeños today. I'm saving a few to ripe into really deep red (to take seeds from), but am usually picking a lot of them green. I was using this one for a pasta sauce. I hope to have enough to do some pickled Jalapeños within a few days.

LittleChili

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:58 pm

Sharing some pictures of these Chilli Plants. As you can see I have transplanted them to Buckets (I use regular Buckets and drill holes in the bottom, simply because it's just as good as pots, but way better price...)

If you want to know how to save you own Chilli Seeds - check out my post How to save Chilli Seeds.
Ava R.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 pm

LittleChili

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm

That's 'Fenir'. It gives large and beautiful fruits. It's is a mild Chilli variety and great to just put on the barbecue or in the oven with some olive oil and salt. 
Ava R.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 pm

What is the beat spicy variety you have grown? I love anything spicy, looking for a type to offer a nice pepper to cook with! I love spicy peppers especially the ones I grow.
LittleChili

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 pm

I try to select varieties that are different. I always grow:
  • Some kind of Jalapeño. I love to make pickled Jalapeño. It's a good way for me to save the full harvest, and I eat it all. It's not that strong, but always useful.
  • Some kind of really early Chilli. Last two years I have choosen a variety called 'Aji Blanco Cristal', and I will grow it again for next year. It ripens in 55-60 days. The short time needed to produce fruits makes it possible for me to grow it outdoors, so it doesn't have to be in a greenhouse which most other types of Chillis needs to be where I live. I really like Aji Blanco Cristal since I can harvest it green, orange or red and choose to eat fresh or just save it in the freezer. Very allround chilli, tasty but not super hot.
Other varieties that I like and tend to choose season after season is Monkeyface (growing a yellow one this year), Hot Lemon, Madame Jeanette and Tabasco. 

I'm still looking for the perfect Chilli to dry up and make Chilli Flakes from. I'm always making Chilli Flakes, and they are usually good but I still tend to change from season to season. 
Ava R.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks I will have to look them up
LittleChili

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 am

I realized today that I never updated on how I repot the Chilli Plants for the last time. I should have updated this post about one month ago! Took the pictures but totally forgot about it... I'm usually repotting at the same time as I move the Chilli Plant Outdoors, or just a few weeks before or after. The Plants are about this size when I repot them:

I repot to either large Pots (8 liters or more) or into regular Buckets that I prepare simply by drilling holes in the bottom:

I then add about 10 cm of soil, mix in about ½ cup of Chicken Manure (saves me from running around and feeding all my Chilli Plants with liquid nutrients from now on..), place the Chilli Plant on top of the mix and fill the bucket with soil. 

I usually run around the garden though - to find sticks and other material to support the plants as they start to give heavy fruits from now on... 
FlatFarmer

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Ah, thank you! I will follow your example and do the same thing this weekend. I was thinking that the pots might be to small by now but was not sure really. Thanks!
LittleChili

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Have been picking loads of Chillies this year. I had way to many Plants, but loved every one of them. It's now mid November and I picked the last Chillies today. I will be starting next Seasons Chillies in about a month and can't wait.

Ava R.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 am

Do you ever make hot sauce?
LittleChili

Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:42 am

Ava R. wrote:Do you ever make hot sauce?
I usually do, but this year I've not. I've been all into drying Chilli Flakes and just freezing chopped chillies this year.. :)
FlatFarmer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 am

I made sweet chilli sauce a few days ago. first time for me but it was very easy to do and we really love it! :-)
Attachments
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG
Ava R.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Could you sen a recipe?
FlatFarmer

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:36 am

Ava R. wrote:Could you sen a recipe?
Yes. :) It was not hard at all. You need:
  • 4 red chillies
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • Some oil
  • 2 dl of brown sugar
  • Some salt
  • 4 dl of water
  • 1,5 dl of vinegar
  • 2,5 tablespoons cornstarch
How to: Enjoy!
sixfeetallman

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm

My dad used to grow his chili from seed also. He was like a connoisseur of chilis. HE LOVED JIS CHILI. Could never ever get them hot enough....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ava R.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

sixfeetallman wrote:My dad used to grow his chili from seed also.  He was like a connoisseur of chilis.  HE LOVED JIS CHILI.  Could never ever get them hot enough....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! This sounds like me! No matter how many I try I can't get enough chili.