Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Cucumbers in Containers

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Growing Cucumbers in Containers

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:24 pm

The small Cucumber Plants have been growing fast (acctually a little faster than I planned for). I have moved them into Buckets today. That will make it possible to have them indoors for a few more weeks, and move them outdoors when spring is fully here and the temperature is reliable. 

I'm sharing some pics of how i transplant the Cucumber Plants to Buckets. To see how I started those Cucumber plants, check out my previous post: Growing Cucumbers from Seeds.

This is the Cucumber Plants that needed to be transplanted. They have been growing fast and they already have a few flowers:

This time I'm transplanting the Cucumbers to regular Buckets. I usually go for my Grow Buckets with a small reservoir (see this post of how I make my Grow Buckets), but this time i plan to drill holes in the bottom and use an external water reservoir for watering later in the summer. So, for now just transplanting to regular buckets.

Remember when you transplant Cucumber Plants to be careful. To transplant Cucumber is a bit tricky, and always 'high risk'. The roots of Cucumber plants is really sensitive, so try not to disturb them or touch them more than necessary. Also make sure NOT to plant the cucumber deeper than it was in the old pot. (In opposite to Tomatoes, the Cucumber plant stem is sensitive and will not grew new roots. It's also sensitive to water.) Make sure that your soil is room temperatured since the Cucumber is sensitive to cold soil.

Finally, since those Cucumber Plants are staying indoors for a while - I decided to add a pipe for watering. I have had some issues with flies and white mold on the indoor soil so i want the top layer of the soil to dry up properly but still give the plants enough water. For this, i just cut the bottom of a regular plastic bottle, turned it upside down and dug it into the bucket. I will water through this "pipe". It looks like this:

As always when growing vegetables in a small container, make sure to add nutrients in the water. I generally do this once a week from the time I have the plant in the final growing container.

If you want to prepare a container for growing Cucumber indoors, check out this post: Growing Cucumbers Indoors

Ava R.

Re: Growing Cucumbers in Containers

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Are mine too leggy?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 am

Ava R. wrote:Are mine too leggy?
I think they will be fine. Put them in a Sunny place, and make sure it's not to warm and i think that they will catch up!
Ava R.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Perfect. Put them on my balcony, they are doing fine!