Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Cucumbers Indoors

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Growing Cucumbers Indoors

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 am

Growing Cucumbers Indoors is fun - and easy. The magic components to make the Cucumber plants thrive are:

1. Light
If it's a dark season, if the cucumber is in i window that doesn't get enough light, or if you grow your cucumber in the middle of your room - make sure to add extra grow light. One single lamp in combination with some window light is good enough for my indoor cucumber plant. The plant can grow with decent light, but need good light to produce cucumbers. If your plant is growing but not producing cucumbers - add extra light.

2. Water
Cucumber plants needs a lot of water - especially when it's producing cucumbers. I would recommend that you plant the cucumber with some type of self watering system - to be able to serve the water that the plant needs.

3. Pot size for the cucumber plant
The pot for the cucumber needs to be about 10 liters. 

4. Add nutrients
Just to mention - you will need to add liquid nutrients in the water. To make this guide as simple as possible - I will not go deeper into different nutrients. Choose according to your own preferences and follow instructions for that type of nutrients.

5. Support
Make sure to give your cucumber something to climb on. You can add support as the cucumber grows. It can be a stick, a string or some type of indoor trellis.

6. Temperature
Indoor temperature is usually above 20 degrees Celsius, and 21-23 degrees is a good general growing temperature for cucumbers.

7. What cucumber to grow indoors
When you decide to grow cucumbers indoors - choose a cucumber that will grow into a smaller type of plant. Some types can grow really high, and that might give you some space issues as the plant grows. 

I now have my third indoor cucumber plant up and coming. I started it in the middle of the darkest season here - November - and it has been growing fine under the grow light. Looking forward to having indoor cucumbers growing early in the spring. I will start my outdoor cucumber batches later in the spring, and it's nice to have a small indoor farm while I wait for the growing season to start fully.

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Growing Cucumbers Indoors

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Indoor Cucumber update! The small Cucumber plant from the picture in the first post now have beautiful flowers!

Ingela

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Fantastic!! Already flowers! Then you need bees or flies to get new cucumbers or do they pollinate "themselves""?
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:14 am

Yes, it is amazing. :) I will help them out with pollination, just to be on the safe side. :)
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:57 am

Time to repot the Indoor Cucumber. It already has flowers, so it's a bit to late. To repot Cucumber is a bit tricky, and always 'high risk'. The roots of Cucumber plants is really sensitive, so try not to disturb them or touch them more than neccessary. Also make sure NOT to plant the cucumber deeper than it was in the old pot. (In opposite to Tomatoes, the Cucumber plant stem is sensitive and will not grew new roots. It's also sensitive to water.) Make sure that your soil is room temperatured since the Cucumber is sensitive to cold soil. 

Fingers crossed that this one will be alright!

Since Cucumber Plants drinks a lot of water, I decided to repot the plant in a self watering pot. (I bought this second hand a few days ago..) But before planting, I made an 'over-flood' drainage - simply drilled 3 holes in the upper part of the water reservoir. This is because I want to make sure that I don't overwater it - and also because I might want to use the pot both indoors and outdoors for later.

Cucumber plant repotted:

I added some extra support for the Cucumber Plant to Climb on, an then, finally: The Cucumber Plant is the first plant to move into the brand new Mini Greenhouse

DirtandYarn

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 am

Terrific! I hope the plant doesn't get too big for you.