Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Malabar Spinach - Climbing Spinach

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Growing Malabar Spinach - Climbing Spinach

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:46 am

I'm growing Malabar Spinach for the first time this year. I have 3 plants coming. They are growing with different pace and have quite different size after a few weeks. I hope to grow one plant indoors and two plants outdoors. It will be interesting to compare the progress. This is what I have leared about Malabar Spinach so far. Please add your knowledge if you have experiences on these plants. :)

Sharing some photos of the progress so far:

Repotting the plants:

This plant have been under grow lights and look great and healthy:

All plants have now moved to the window sill, where our March daylight should be enough to keep them happy.

Ingela

Re: Growing Malabar Spinach - Climbing Spinach

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:45 pm

I planted seeds of spinach 14 days ago and have just got one plant. I planted about 15 seeds. Did you get plants from every seed? Did It take long time until they started to grow?
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:20 am

Somewhere between 2-3 weeks for me, but can take up to 30 days. I got 3 Plants out of 4 planted seeds. Good luck!
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:54 pm

The Malabar Spinach is growing strong and solid. It is probably preparing it's climb upwards. Curious to see if it will grow the 3 meters that I've been told about. 

Gu

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm trying Malabar spinach for the first time as well. I planted 9 seeds and had 8 germinate. One seed even sprouted two plants? These aren't bunch type seeds to my knowledge? I wonder if it's like getting an egg with two yolks?

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016041 ... c74b30.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016041 ... ad9f25.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heatherdarko

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm trying Malabar spinach for the first time as well. I planted 9 seeds and had 8 germinate. One seed even sprouted two plants? These aren't bunch type seeds to my knowledge? I wonder if it's like getting an egg with two yolks?

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks for sharing those lovely images! How are the Malabar Twins doing?

I repotted the largest of my Malabar Spinach Plants about two weeks ago, and the Plant has really started to reach for the sky after that! This is what the Plant looked like when i repotted it:

Nice and sturdy stem and thick green healthy leaves. It's a beautiful plant!

It started to grow within a few days, and it grows so fast! It is probably growing between 5-10 cm every day!

Had to replace the supporting stick. (Not to beautiful, but had to find a really long one... will use a string the next time!) Look at it now!

And here is a close up of how beautiful it climbs!

I'm totally in love with this plant, and started more Malabar Spinach Seeds yesterday. Planning to let some of them grow outdoors later in the spring. I think it has potential to climb the rain gutters and make them beautiful! :-)
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:36 pm

If you want to see more pictures from how my Outdoor Malabar Spinach Plants are doing. Check out this Topic: Moving Malabar Spinach Outdoors.