Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing tomatoes using passive hydroponics

💦🌱 Indoor and Outdoor Hydroponics.
Emma GupH

Growing tomatoes using passive hydroponics

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:02 pm

I am growing a couple of Pocketbook 'reisetomate' vine tomatoes. I am growing them using passive hydroponics - so instead of using a hydroponic system, I will be using coco coir - coco is completely clean, buffered and free from nutrients so is just acting as a medium to hold the plant in place, that means I will need to add nutrients to the water when I water them, but it means I will know exactly what nutrients they are getting.
Attachments
pocket_2.jpg
pocket_1.jpg

Emma GupH

Re: Growing tomatoes using passive hydroponics

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 pm

I am growing them in air pots (I prefer to use fabric pots, eg. root pouch) but I had some of these kicking around so decided to use them this time. The airpots (like fabric pots) encourage air pruning so the roots should be healthier and denser as they are allowed to breathe. I will keep you updated :-) These will be grown indoors (in a grow tent) as I'm in the UK, and it's still rather cold and miserable outside! :-(
Attachments
pocket_4.jpg
pocket_3.jpg
Emma GupH

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:27 pm

Here is an update on the tomato plants. They are looking very happy and healthy and flower buds are starting to appear.
Attachments
buds.jpg
toms.jpg
FlatFarmer

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:17 pm

They look very happy and healthy! :-)