Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

High Anthocyanin Food - Growing Purple Tomatoes

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
nige

High Anthocyanin Food - Growing Purple Tomatoes

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:03 pm

The Anthocyanin journey
Anthocyanin is a chemical that is supposed to assist in heart problems, cancer, diabetes, obesity and some skin complaints.
Anthocyanin has been increased via GMO manipulation in England. The results and methods were moved to Canada because the European market said so.
The results showed a moderate increase in Anthocyanin with a blue interior, the tomatoes had a decreased taste and eventually was used in pizza sauces to a negative acceptance in the general public.

Anthocyanin is found in small amounts in blueberries, eggplant, black currents, plumbs, asparagus bananas? Red wine, kidney and black beans, pomegranate s, cherries, red onions, fennel, blue potatoes, peas,tomatoes, blackberries, and a few other fruits basically any fruit and vegetables with a blue or black tint to the color.
If you were to concentrate your diet within the above mentioned items you will loose weight, become healthier and you will notice an elevated energy level. Which, again increases your ability to exercise, this completes the circle of general well being.
My personal findings are.....
1). The dark "Russian" tomatoes carry the highest Anthocyanin but not as high as the berries in the list.
2). The larger tomatoes carry less Anthocyanin per gram than smaller tomatoes.
3). Anthocyanin is found in the tomatoes skin, not the flesh.
4). My attempts at increasing Anthocyanin through cross pollination has increased the individual flavor but not necessarily the Anthocyanin.
5). Hydroponic growing has no benefits over other methods of growing when trying to increase Anthocyanin.
6). We have achieved a slight increase after our cross pollination.

This year I will be growing my final tomato crossbreeds to see if the fruit holds on to type, size, color, flavor and indeterminate/determinate typing.  If everything goes well I will have seeds for others to try, at the minimal cost. Our research group want to spread our seeds to those who want to increase their and others health.

Personal history
I had my first heart attack at age 48, due to family history with a loss of heart function. There was also a family history of obesity and diabetes.
Since changing my diet to increase the Anthocyanin within my diet I have lost a lot of weight, my heart does not slip in and out of disrythmias, my energy level has increased to the point of being able to shovel a full load of horse manure without having to stop to get my breath after a few shovel loads. My heart has also increased in strength?
The Reasurch scientist working with me on the Anthocyanin project has non lymphatic cancer with his spleen being the size of a large loaf of bread...
His spleen has now shrunk and he is now in remission after half a year of being with us. He is under a Dr.'s Care but I believe his remission has been assisted by the diet we are now following. My wife has also noted a loss in weight and an increase in vitality
Hope this encourages others to look into growing this fruit.
Nige

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

nige

Re: How deep the roots

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Ava R. wrote:Its really cool that the antocyanins help fight cancer etc. The lycopene can also help with inflamation and can unclogg arteries in the heart. What tomatoes did you cross pollinate? Indigo Rose? I think what you are doing is really cool. The caroteniod lycopene also helps prevent heart attacks/stroke. The lycopene can also help ostioperousis, rhumatoid athritis and other joint pains. If needed you can tell me in a PM.

nige

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:06 pm

My e mail address is [email protected] I will answer all who inquire
N

nige

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 pm

We did not use any of the indigo tomatoes...
We used Russian types
nige

Ava R.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Thanks!
nige

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 am

Ava R. wrote:That is amazing.. I have always wanted to help people increase their changes of life, I also really enjoy horticulture. I might start looking into what each plants specific benefit. It would be cool to grow something that could help people!

nige

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:52 am

Find something that is beneficial for health, hard to find, unique, really fresh with a good local following that you can grow. For instance, something a local eatery would love to use in their food.

Simple right?
Good luck
nige

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:30 pm

nige wrote:Find something that is beneficial for health, hard to find, unique,  really fresh with a good local following that you can grow. For instance, something a local eatery would love to use in their food.

Simple right?
Good luck
nige

How do you measure the levels of Anthocyanin in the Tomatoes? It is interesting that the Anthocyanin is in the Skin and in the smaller Tomatoes. What size are the Tomatoes? Are you therefore also trying to get more and smaller Tomatoes with Cross Pollination?
nige

Re: High Anthocyanin Food - Growing Purple Tomatoes

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:06 pm

I am including pictures of several plants I transplanted this morning.

I will be calling this particular tomato 214. This is the cross with the highest amount of Anthocyanin in the skin.

The middle pot contains a clone/cutting from last years cross.
The two outer pots contain 2 plants each of the 214 cross but growing from seeds collected last year.
The seeds were started December 3rd last year, less than 5-6 weeks ago. There is a total of 10-12 cm of stem, trimmed of leaf branches buried into the soil. So what you are seeing is the tops of all the plants.
When I trimmed the branches off there was a very high "tomato smell" given off, giving an idea of what is to come.

I did this to see if the seeds were viable and the cutting/clone would grow. I will keep the postings an pictures coming so others can enjoy.
IMG_3505.JPG

bluebutterfly123

Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Because of your posts on purple tomatoes.. I decided to try a plant in my garden too.. Lol.. Hopefully it turns out good! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

nige

Thu May 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Go for it and good luck

There are many veriaties to choose from, best to start, the Indigo veriaties. They are cherry size but pack a punch in flavor and Anthocyanins, the darker the better. The indigos were propagated for the Anthocyanin in the initial crossing and, they are not a GMO win win situation..AND YOU CAN SAVE THE SEEDS FOR NEXT YEAR...
Nige.