Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

How to grow Gooseberries

Yup, this is a section for Fruit & Berries! 🍒
Sanna
Site Admin

How to grow Gooseberries

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

Gooseberries - so easy to grow, and so good berries! Let me share some of my learnings growing Gooseberries. I like to think that I use most of them for marmalade, but I think I have to admit that i Just eat most of the berries as i pick them. 

Gooseberries grow on bushes, but if you have a small garden you can also train them against a wall. If you are about to plant Gooseberries, there are some decisions to make - do you want green or red goosberries, and if you want the stems to be spine free?

I'm a lucky person to have old Gooseberry bushes in my garden. They're easy to propagate in spring or august. Just bend a long stem to the ground and place a rock on the middle of it, cover the middle part of the stem with soil and make sure that at least 5 cm of the top is above ground level. The stem will root, and is ready to be cut of from the mother plant during next autumn. 

Find a permanendt growing spot. I heard that you can grow them in containers, but I've never tried that. If you propagate plants, move them in the autumn (august or september works for me). If you buy plants, you can plant them in spring or autumn.

After a few tries, my best tips for a permanent growing spot would be: Pick a fairly warm spot. I like to place my plants in spots that has a light breeze (seems to be enough to keep the blight away). It doesn't have to be all sunny though, you can grow them in semi shade (mine are under a large tree, and they thrive!).

Here are some Gooseberry Marmalade prepping pics for inspiration:

Ava R.

Re: How to grow Gooseberries

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:43 pm

How do they taste?
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Ohhh.. this taste is hard to describe. I'd say that it's a bit like kiwi and melon, but with a distinct taste that I can't really describe. They are sweet. 
Ava R.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Yum!!
Ava R.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:02 am

Do they have hard seeds? Are they like a grape?

You should maybe try to grow them from seed. Any tips on growing it on a trellis? Or maybe a bush. Any tips?
Ava R.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 am

What type of gooseberry do you have in your backyard? I am going to buy 2 bushes to go up my small pergola. I was wondering if you have tried any that you like the best. I don't mind any throns or spines.
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Ava R. wrote:What type of gooseberry do you have in your backyard? I am going to buy 2 bushes to go up my small pergola. I was wondering if you have tried any that you like the best. I don't mind any throns or spines.
I'm not really sure. They've been there since before we moved to this house. The bushes are growing quite big here,but I guess it's depending on how they like the climate. There are also purple varietes, but I like the traditional yellow gooseberries best.
Ava R.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 pm

Invicta maybe....
bluebutterfly123

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 am

Ohhhh that's what those are! When we moved into this house, we had a bush with thorns growing along the back fence.. And since it kept growing into my walkway space for my growbeds I kept cutting it.. Thinking to rip it out this year.. But I think I'll let it be this yr and see if I get any berries on it.. Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
billyborden423

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am

That's a really informational post. I really get much from them to learn how to grow the Gooseberries.