Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

How to harvest and preserve spinach

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

How to harvest and preserve spinach

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:59 am

I wanted to share how I harvest and preserve spinach. I winter sow a lot of spinach, and harvest several kilos of spinach in april and may. Except of eating spinach fresh, I have two main ways of preserving it.

First some words on how to harvest spinach.

I either pick single leafs, or cut the stem. I make sure to always leave one of the bottom leaves. That makes the spinach come back and regrow more leaves for at least a second harvest.

The nice way - saving single leafs

Harvesting single leafs are nice if you want to use them in salads or other food where you want to have blanched whole spinach leafs. Takes some time, but is worth it!

Look how different different spinach varieties are

This variety is huge and chunky

The fast way - just chop it and blanch it

When you have loads of spinach like I do, it’s hard to find enough time to pick everything leaf by leaf. So.. when I have enough nice looking spinach I use this method for the rest of the spinach harvest.

Simply cut the spinach with both stems and leafs. Put it in a container, and fill with water to rinse it.

Take a bunch, cut flowers or buds of (if any has started to form).

Then chop everything up.

Blanching spinach

Blanching spinach is quick and easy. I always blanch spinach before i freeze it in portion plastic bags.

Boil water, add salt.

When water is boiling, add the spinach. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes.

Then take it out of the water. Wait for it to cool down before you bag it and freeze it.

And..

reward for the gardener… Always remember to quickly blanch some spinach for your self. Eat it freshly blanched, with salt, pepper and lemon.

John

Re: How to harvest and preserve spinach

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:36 am

I prefer do it with much less water.

If you wash your spinach, thoroughly dry it and then add it to a pan and put on top of the stove and gently heat it up with a lid on. There will still be enough water available. The spinach will start to drop, give it a stir and continue to cook until it has all dropped.

At this stage take it off the heat and let it cool down.

When cool chop it up and squeeze excess liquid out using a wire strainer over a bowl.

The spinach will be ready for freezing and the liquid in the bowl can be used for veg stock. It will be a very dark green colour and will have to be diluted somewhat.

By using this method you are preserving much more of the vitamins and minerals.
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:52 pm

John wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:36 am
I prefer do it with much less water.

If you wash your spinach, thoroughly dry it and then add it to a pan and put on top of the stove and gently heat it up with a lid on. There will still be enough water available. The spinach will start to drop, give it a stir and continue to cook until it has all dropped.

At this stage take it off the heat and let it cool down.

When cool chop it up and squeeze excess liquid out using a wire strainer over a bowl.

The spinach will be ready for freezing and the liquid in the bowl can be used for veg stock. It will be a very dark green colour and will have to be diluted somewhat.

By using this method you are preserving much more of the vitamins and minerals.
Thank you! I've never heard about this method before, but it seems very handy! I will for sure try it!
John

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:47 am

When you have squeeze the water out, you can divide the spinach into meatball size pieces put them on a tray and freeze them.

Makes life easy later.

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:26 pm

John wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:47 am
When you have squeeze the water out, you can divide the spinach into meatball size pieces put them on a tray and freeze them.

Makes life easy later.

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Very smart! It will make it easier to take exactly the amount needed for cooking.

Return to “Growing Other Vegetables”