Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

How to save Chilli Seeds

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
LittleChili

How to save Chilli Seeds

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:29 pm

This is how I save Chilli Seeds from my homegrown Chillis. I'm sharing step by step how I'm doing. In the pictures here, I'm saving seeds from Hungarian Hot Wax and Jalapeño.

You need Chillis, a knife, a glass of water and a paper napkin or paper towel.

1. Pick the Chillis you want to use. Make sure that they are really ripe. I usually use the first Chilli of each plant for Seeds Saving. This is because I want to avoid cross pollination between different varieties and I find it easier to controll the plants in the beginning of the season. 

2. Cut the top of the Chilli and slice it open.

3. Scrape of the Chilli Seeds.

4. Put the seeds in a glass of water. Leave them there over night.

5. The next day: Some seeds are floating and some seeds are laying on the bottom of the glass. Remove all the floating seeds and throw them away. They are bad seeds. Now take the seeds that are laying on the bottom of the glass and move them to a Paper Towel or Paper Napkin. Leave them on the Paper Towel to dry up. I usually leave mine for about a week. Mark the Paper Towel with Chilli variety. It's easy to forget if you do several varieties at the same time.

6. After one week: take your Chilli Seeds and place them in an envelope, a Paper Bag or wherever you want to store them. I make my own small Paper Envelopes for my Seeds. Mark them with variety and year.

I'm also saving my floating Seeds (the bad Seeds) this year. I will do an experiment next year, to double check if they are really bad, or if it's only what I've been told... 

Ava R.

Re: How to save Chilli Seeds

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:43 pm

I will have to try this as soon as I get my first Long Pepper!
Attachments
image.jpg