Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Moving Malabar Spinach Outdoors

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Moving Malabar Spinach Outdoors

Wed May 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Started 3 Malabar Spinach Plants earlier this year (link to post on how I started them: here).

One of them is growing like crazy in an indoor window sill, and three days ago I decided to move the second plant outdoors. I want it to climb the Pergola that I built last spring 

I had to add a temporary stick for the plant to climb last week. It's really growing fast when it starts to climb!

I'm a bit worried about the plant having to climb the black metal frame. It gets really cold during these first spring nights and it gets really hot during the day. But I'm giving it a try. Carefully removed the stick that the plant was climbing on, and tried to wrap it around the Pergola frame. Had to use a string and tie it up.

Yesterday I was really happy to see that it had found it's way and started to climb up, up, up again. :-)

heatherdarko

Re: Moving Malabar Spinach Outdoors

Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Oh my that looks so great Sanna! I can't wait to put mine outdoors. It really is liking the warmth of my house though so I'm waiting a bit longer on my local night temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heatherdarko

Fri May 20, 2016 12:28 pm

How is your Malabar doing outdoors? What are your night time temps average lately?

Mine is getting so much fuller, it's really going to need to go outside soon. Oddly not vining yet though? Just getting bushy? Maybe it's just waiting for its stick to be put in place?

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun May 22, 2016 5:54 pm

We've had down to +2 degrees celsius during the nights, and the outdoor plant looks good. It is not growing as fast as the indoor plant but still looks healthy. It will probably start to climb soon.. it's really great to watch them grow as they really grow a lot every day.. I have not harvested more than a few leaves yet. Maybe i will take some more leaves for lunch tomorrow. :-)
heatherdarko

Mon May 23, 2016 2:52 am

Oh good! I will start working on getting mine outdoors then! I've been babying them too much!

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Quick update on one of my Malabar Spinach Plants. I'm totally in love with all of them. Grows well, seems to like my Garden and are beautiful!

I have been picking leaves from this plant every now and then and ha mainly used them for salads. They taste very good!
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:34 pm

What a beautiful vegetable this is! I love my Malabar Spinach and will have it climb a lot more places in my Garden next year!

Raez

Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 am

@Sana I actually found your site thanks to your Malabar spinach posts :) I'm curious to know how the outdoor plants compared to the one indoor. Which plants are more lush?

I found a few videos on Youtube where someone is experimenting on growing them into a bush. I sowed my seeds indoors and they're getting to the point where I'm thinking about repotting vs. planting them outdoors. I'd love to get your feedback as there doesn't seem to be many people growing them in Europe.

As for your outdoor plants, what location did you choose? I'm thinking about planting them outside my patio (facing west), but I'm thinking they'd appreciate the south end a lot more.
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Raez wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 am
@Sana I actually found your site thanks to your Malabar spinach posts :) I'm curious to know how the outdoor plants compared to the one indoor. Which plants are more lush?

I found a few videos on Youtube where someone is experimenting on growing them into a bush. I sowed my seeds indoors and they're getting to the point where I'm thinking about repotting vs. planting them outdoors. I'd love to get your feedback as there doesn't seem to be many people growing them in Europe.

As for your outdoor plants, what location did you choose? I'm thinking about planting them outside my patio (facing west), but I'm thinking they'd appreciate the south end a lot more.
Oh that's nice to hear. I have tried both indoor and outdoor, and this year I'm only growing them outdoors. The outdoor plants really thrived last year, and for the indoor plant I struggled to keep up with watering and light. The indoor plant was pretty, but much thinner and did not really become bushy at all, like the outdoor plant. The outdoor plant became more purple in color and the indoor plant was more green.

Our summer temperature is about 20-25 degrees Celsius. I had my plant in a fairly sunny position (facing souch-east). I had them planted in large pots with chicken manure and grass clippings to feed nutrients.
Raez

Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks so much for your response. I'll start hardening them off for the move :) I'm really excited about these plants and the potential of having some yummy leafy greens all throughout the summer :)
Raez

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm

An update on my malabar spinach: they're not doing so well :( Where I live is just too cold for them to flourish. There's a large difference in day-nighttime temperatures and they've been miserable since I moved them out. At first I thought they were stunted from not taking my time in hardening them off, but I kept one plant indoors and very gradually hardened it off, but even with that plant, I noticed the same results. I later read other people's experience with malabar spinach (those that also live in a cold climate) - they noticed that their plants fail to grow lush, yet send thin shoots that immediately produces fruit. This is very different compared to how it should grow.

My plants are planted in the south and southeastern side of the garden for maximum sunlight. The plants themselves look lush and green, but they haven't grown in comparison to having them sit indoors on my south-facing windowsill where the temperature is relatively constant. My initial excitement was due to the fact that my indoor malabars grew so fast so quickly. I was really hoping to have a constant supply of lush, delicious leaves for stir-fry. Live and learn :)

I'm planning to order more seeds and attempt to grow them under a grow lamp during winter. The leaves are so perfect for stir-fries that I can't quit so easily.
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Raez wrote:An update on my malabar spinach: they're not doing so well :( Where I live is just too cold for them to flourish. There's a large difference in day-nighttime temperatures and they've been miserable since I moved them out. At first I thought they were stunted from not taking my time in hardening them off, but I kept one plant indoors and very gradually hardened it off, but even with that plant, I noticed the same results. I later read other people's experience with malabar spinach (those that also live in a cold climate) - they noticed that their plants fail to grow lush, yet send thin shoots that immediately produces fruit. This is very different compared to how it should grow.

My plants are planted in the south and southeastern side of the garden for maximum sunlight. The plants themselves look lush and green, but they haven't grown in comparison to having them sit indoors on my south-facing windowsill where the temperature is relatively constant. My initial excitement was due to the fact that my indoor malabars grew so fast so quickly. I was really hoping to have a constant supply of lush, delicious leaves for stir-fry. Live and learn :)

I'm planning to order more seeds and attempt to grow them under a grow lamp during winter. The leaves are so perfect for stir-fries that I can't quit so easily.
How about wind? My Malabar Spinach has been doing ok this year, but nowhere near last season in terms of growth. I't gets plenty of sun, but I'm thinking that it might be to windy (and therefore also to cold) for the plant even if the position is sunny. This is what my plant looks like now:

FlatFarmer

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm

I am also trying malabar spinach. First season for me! I have 3 plants in the same pot. This is how they are growing right now. I don't know if this is good or bad but I think they are very pretty!

Ava R.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Very pretty!
Israfilhaque1230

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 am

:) We've had down to +2 degrees celsius amid the evenings, and the open air plant looks great. It isn't developing as quick as the indoor plant yet at the same time looks solid. It will most likely begin to climb soon.. it's extremely extraordinary to watch them develop as they truly grow a great deal each day.. I have not reaped more than a couple of leaves yet. Possibly I will take some more leaves for lunch tomorrow. ;)

Return to “Growing Other Vegetables”