Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Potatoes in Containers

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Growing Potatoes in Containers

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Growing Potatoes in containers - i fell in love with the idea on Pinterest and decided to try it. So glad I did! I read a few long guides - but growing potatoes turned out to be super easy.

We bought a ses of 3 different types of potatoes, and to rebel a bit we also took a few potatoes from the fridge. A warning should be raised on taking potatoes from the fridge, since they are "uncontrolled" and can bring nematodes into your garden. However we figured that since we would grow the potatoes in buckets it would be easy to control that the used soil did not end up in one of the garden beds after the growing season. If you want to be perfectly sure, I guess you should stick to the bought versions though..

The spring of 2015 was really cold where we live, so the potato buckets had to stay inside for longer than we orignally planned. But the buckets were nice and handy, so easy to place the buckets where conditions seemed OK. 

Growing potatoes was super easy.

1. We let the potatoes get ready on the window sill
2. While we were waiting for the potatoes to start growing we had plenty of time to prepare the buckets (drilled a few draining holes on the side of each bucket, a few centimeters from the bottom, and placed a cloth bag with leca/clay pebles in the bottom to keep the potatoes decently drained)
3. When the potatoes has "started to grow" on the window sill we figured that it was time to plant them. We just put a 5 cm layer of soil in the buckets, placed 3 potatoes in each bucket and put about 10 cm of soil on top of the potatoes.
4. As the plants grow we kept filling the buckets with soil, and filled with a little bit of soil as soon as the plants peeked above the soil surface. 
5. When the buckets were full we just waited. And watered occasionally. 

For next year we will do 3 times as many potatoes, and are thinking about trying to root them a bit on a tray with soil before planting them.

Ava R.

Re: Growing Potatoes in Containers

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:53 pm

What language do you speak there?
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:28 pm

It's Swedish. There are some strange letters in the Swedish language.. :-)
Ava R.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 am

So this site translates it into my language and yours? Or do you speak English too?
Ava R.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 pm

What is a seed potato?
Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:42 am

Ava R. wrote:What is a seed potato?
The Word "Seed Potato" is actually a bit misleading, and there is no real Seed involved. A "Seed Potato" is a part of a potato, that you buy (or save from your own Potatoes for the next season) and plant to get more Potatoes. 
Ava R.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:12 am

Do poatoes produce seeds?