Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Greenhousers and polytunnelers are sharing. 💕 The rest of us are following and dreaming! ☀️
Sanna
Site Admin

My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:40 pm

I've been struggling with the decision to get a greenhouse for a loooong time. I've been looking into different types of polytunnels and greenhouses, but have had a hard time trying to place a huge tunnel in my garden. Today I finally decided what type of greenhouse to get, and I also placed the order! I'm so excited!

I was looking for:
- Polytunnel functionality rather than "greenhouse beauty"
- A huge tunnel that would fit in a small and already crowded garden (then It will of course not be huge.. more likely quite small)
- As much growing space as possible related to space it will take in the garden
- Good enough winter isolation to really extend the season and add possibly also add heating during early spring
- Hardy enough to stand the snow load and winds during winter
- Practical, with ventilation possibilities etc.
- Reasonable cost

I decided to go for a Palram Bella greenhouse tunnel. It looks like this (image from Palram):

It's 2,44x2,44 meters and it was really the squared measurements that made it possible for me to place it in my garden in a good way (with doors facing the garden instead of just a corner).

I will start the ground work this weekend, and hopefully I will get it delivered and get it together within the next 2 weeks. What do you think?

I will get back with reviews, updates and info on how it will meet my expectations. :)

bluebutterfly123

Re: My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 pm

It looks good! Can't wait to see it in your yard
Since my polytunnel's tape finally came off.. I'm I think I will either dismantle it now.. After seeing my interest in the garden grow, hubby dear said we can look into getting a ready made greenhouse (yay!) so please let me know how this works for you

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I've started the greenhouse foundation today. Since it's not a glass greenhouse, but more of a poly tunnel I think that it will be fine to use wood instead of concrete for the foundation. Still, it's a light weight greenhouse, so I really wanted to make sure that it gets properly attached.

I started by digging of the grass and cover it with a ground cloth:

I then cut the wood, and made some cuttings that could hold the ground anchors:

It's not a huge greenhouse.. first row of the foundation in place:

Starting to bend ground anchors from rebar:

This is what the bent rebars looked like when they were into place:

Then a second row of wood. I added this row mainly to get a slightly higher tunnel:

That's all I can do for now.. Hopefully the greenhouse will be delivered before next weekend.