Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Greenhousers and polytunnelers are sharing. 💕 The rest of us are following and dreaming! ☀️
Sanna
Site Admin

My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:40 pm

I've been struggling with the decision to get a greenhouse for a loooong time. I've been looking into different types of polytunnels and greenhouses, but have had a hard time trying to place a huge tunnel in my garden. Today I finally decided what type of greenhouse to get, and I also placed the order! I'm so excited!

I was looking for:
- Polytunnel functionality rather than "greenhouse beauty"
- A huge tunnel that would fit in a small and already crowded garden (then It will of course not be huge.. more likely quite small)
- As much growing space as possible related to space it will take in the garden
- Good enough winter isolation to really extend the season and add possibly also add heating during early spring
- Hardy enough to stand the snow load and winds during winter
- Practical, with ventilation possibilities etc.
- Reasonable cost

I decided to go for a Palram Bella greenhouse tunnel. It looks like this (image from Palram):

It's 2,44x2,44 meters and it was really the squared measurements that made it possible for me to place it in my garden in a good way (with doors facing the garden instead of just a corner).

I will start the ground work this weekend, and hopefully I will get it delivered and get it together within the next 2 weeks. What do you think?

I will get back with reviews, updates and info on how it will meet my expectations. :)

bluebutterfly123

Re: My new Polytunnel Greenhouse - Palram Bella

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 pm

It looks good! Can't wait to see it in your yard
Since my polytunnel's tape finally came off.. I'm I think I will either dismantle it now.. After seeing my interest in the garden grow, hubby dear said we can look into getting a ready made greenhouse (yay!) so please let me know how this works for you

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:48 pm

I've started the greenhouse foundation today. Since it's not a glass greenhouse, but more of a poly tunnel I think that it will be fine to use wood instead of concrete for the foundation. Still, it's a light weight greenhouse, so I really wanted to make sure that it gets properly attached.

I started by digging of the grass and cover it with a ground cloth:

I then cut the wood, and made some cuttings that could hold the ground anchors:

It's not a huge greenhouse.. first row of the foundation in place:

Starting to bend ground anchors from rebar:

This is what the bent rebars looked like when they were into place:

Then a second row of wood. I added this row mainly to get a slightly higher tunnel:

That's all I can do for now.. Hopefully the greenhouse will be delivered before next weekend.
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 pm

The greenhouse was delivered and we've been working on it this weekend. Spent about 6 hours putting it together, and then about one day extra to paint and build the grow beds in the greenhouse.

Preparing for watering

Starting the interior today. Got some left over flooring bricks from a friend. Perfect!

Grow beds

Still some work to do, but starting to look good!

There is still some work to do, like building the middle bed and finding enough soil to fill the beds up.
bluebutterfly123

Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 am

Excellent work! Looks great! What do you plan on growing in it?

Sanna
Site Admin

Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you! :) I'm planning right now. It will probably be Tomatoes, Cucumbers and some Chilli plants. Maybe Eggplant and Melon. And Artichoke! I need to try artichoke!

All beds are now in place.

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu May 18, 2017 7:38 pm

First to move into the tunnel: Tomatoes! 🎉

Totally I moved 20 Tomato Plants from the Basement and to the tunnel.

I got the watering system installed before anything was allowed to move to the greenhouse. I made a separate topic on the watering system. For more info, follow this link
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue May 30, 2017 5:50 am

Moved some more stuff to the greenhouse a few days ago.

Nice flowers on the Tomatillo already

bluebutterfly123

Tue May 30, 2017 6:47 am

Looks wonderful! It'll be a jungle in there in no time now.. Lol

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Tue May 30, 2017 12:27 pm

This is amazing! Where did you get the greenhouse? I love it! You really put a lot of work into this project and it is all going to pay off at the dinner table!! Your tomato plants look beautiful! I love to be out in the garden and pick the produce and eat it right there. Especially tomatoes! Yum!

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Sanna
Site Admin

Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 pm

Thank you! I got the greenhouse from a local store, but I've seen i in different web shops. Google Palram Bella Greenhouse and you'll find it. It's my first year with a greenhouse and I'm amazed by how fast it grows. I will update again within a few days. Since our climate is cold, I am really looking forward to elongate the seasons (both autumn season and spring season).
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Greenhouse update! It has been growing like crazy in here!

Tomatoes are flowering

Cucumbers are flowering and some already has cucumbers.

Melons

bluebutterfly123

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:00 pm

It's a jungle in there! LolI think the tomatoes may need some pruning.. Lol.. But it looking wonderful in there! Those are some nice cucumbers!

I love your greenhouse ... I wish I could make a greenhouse extension on my house, like the picture below.. That would be amazing! I'd be living there more than the house itself.. LolImage

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:59 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:
It's a jungle in there! LolI think the tomatoes may need some pruning.. Lol.. But it looking wonderful in there! Those are some nice cucumbers!

I love your greenhouse ... I wish I could make a greenhouse extension on my house, like the picture below.. That would be amazing! I'd be living there more than the house itself.. Lol
Oh wow! 😍 I'd love to have an attached greenhouse! At the moment, the current one is enough for me, but I think that I might start wanting another one as soon as the winter comes and I start the planning for next season.... 🙈 What's your possibilities to build a greenhouse in your garden where you are now?
bluebutterfly123

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Sanna wrote:
bluebutterfly123 wrote:

I love your greenhouse ... I wish I could make a greenhouse extension on my house, like the picture below.. That would be amazing! I'd be living there more than the house itself.. Lol
Oh wow! I'd love to have an attached greenhouse! At the moment, the current one is enough for me, but I think that I might start wanting another one as soon as the winter comes and I start the planning for next season.... What's your possibilities to build a greenhouse in your garden where you are now?
Well I got my husband on board with us "needing" a greenhouse only thing is, where do we put one? At times we think it should be in the back where the beds are.. Maybe build it over 2 or 3 of them... And then I think we can put it on the side of the house.. But we don't get full sun there.. Only morning to afternoon sun...but plenty of space there, and nothing but grass to work around... I think we'll actually start building it around fall time.. When it's not too hot lol