Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Potato Grow Bag Test

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Potato Grow Bag Test

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

I love growing Potatoes in Containers and Buckets. This year I will finally do my Potato Growbag Test that I have been thinking about for a while. I'm going to compare 4 different types of Grow Bags. 

- One Potato Patio Planter
- One IKEA bag
- One of my own Grow Buckets (link to post on how I make them: Super Simple Grow Buckets)
- One regular bucket

The Potato that I will use for this experiment is Potato Juliette (an early Potato). 

The Potatoes have been Chitted (Sprouted) before I planted them. (See more on how that was done in this link Chitting Seed Potatoes before planting).

Preparations
Regular Bucket: I drilled some holes for drainage in the Regular Bucket.

Grow Buckets: Then I prepared one of my own Grow Buckets.  (link to post on how I make them: Super Simple Grow Buckets)

Potato Patio Planter: No preparations needed on the Potato Patio Planter. It looks like this:

IKEA bag: No preparations done on the IKEA bag (I might need to do some holes later, when I move the Grow Bags outdoors.)

I took the bags, and added a layer (about 10 cm) of soil in each Bag and Bucket.

After that I added the pre sprouted Seed Potatoes. 4 Potatoes in each Grow Bag.

I will now keep adding soil to the Grow Bags as the Potato Plants grows. I will keep the Grow Bags indoors for a few more weeks until the outdoor temperature is warm enough and they can move outdoors. I hope for a good harvest from all of the Grow Bags and it will be interesting to see which one gives me the best Potatoes. 

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Potato Grow Bag Test

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Here's a Potato update. It's growing fast in all of the Grow Bags. I'm a bit worried that the IKEA bag is a bit see through and might end up with Green Potatoes even though I keep adding soil as the potatoes grow.. 

The regular Bucket already seems way to crowded. It will be interesting to see where this ends up!

The Store bought Potato Planter is giving really thin plants, since the container is quite tall the plants really have to stretch to find the light. My home made Grow Bucket seems to work just fine. :-)
MidwestMatthew

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Following this for sure. :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:25 am

It's growing like crazy in all 4 Grow Bags. All bags have been indoors, since it's still to cold outside.They are growing a bit to fast and tall when I keep them indoors, and I really hope that they can go outdoors soon.

As you can see in the pictures, they are growing a bit different. However it all comes down to which one that will give most potatoes in the end. The pink bucket is cute, but I don't really think that it will be a winner in the end..

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Moved my Potato Grow Bag chaos outdoors today. I can finally reclaim my living room. :-) Hoping that spring is here to stay.. 

Ava R.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Which one was the best?
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:37 am

Update on the Potato Grow Bag Test. It's unfortunately fair to say that this test rained away! The harvest in all of the Grow Bags was a huge disappointment. I got a lot of great Potatoes in the Black Grow Buckets last year, but this season was really bad. My own disaster investigation report would blame three things: Myself starting the Seed Potatoes to early, Spring being to cold and Early Summer being to rainy. You can tell already in the photos from previous posts that the sprouts are really tall and thin by the time that I got the Buckets outdoor.. Not good. 

Anyway.. This is the full harvest from these 4 Grow Bags. It's possible to tell some things even though the result was really poor.

Grow Bag
Biggest Potatoes in this Store bought Grow Bag. Drainage was good and the Potatoes were healthy, even though I did not get as many Potatoes as I thought. It was not as robust as I thought. The handles came off when I tried to move the Bag during harvest. 

Home made Grow Buckets
Most number of Potatoes, even though they were smaller than the Potatoes from the Store bought Grow Bag. The Construction of this Grow Bucket is more robust than the Grow Bag, and easier to move during the season. Drainage was good. I know from last summer that the small water reservoir in the bottom is helpful if there are some warm and dry days, but this summer was way to rainy to prove that again. Healthy Potatoes but to small.

IKEA-Bag
No drainage which affected the Potatoes in a bad way. PH was not good and rough spots appeared on the Potatoes. Not many Potatoes at all. Also.. not related to the Potatoes, but Bags did not age properly outdoors. They tore apart when I tried to lift the Bags during the end of the season. I was hoping for a better result. Planned to adjust them with proper drainage - but since they are now broke I will throw them away.

Pink Bucket
My conclusion is that this Bucket simply was to small. Even though this really was a rainy summer, this little Bucket managed to dry up to much a few times. The sun simply dried the little Pink Bucket to fast and soil was either to wet or to dry. It might have been different if it was a darker Bucket - but it would still have been to small. 

So... I will skip the IKEA-bag and Pink Bucket for next year and go for the Grow Buckets and Grow Bags. I will also start Potatoes in some of the Raised Beds in my new extended Kitchen Garden.

How was your Potato Season this year?