Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Preparing Raised Beds for Winter Sowing

Let's garden ALWAYS ❄️☃️ And share tips and ideas on how to improve! 🌱
Sanna
Site Admin

Preparing Raised Beds for Winter Sowing

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:55 pm

I have 7 Raised Beds that I plan to start in January. I will Winter Sow crops like Spinach, Raddish, Rocket and Carrots (see post on Garden Plan 2017 if you want to know more about my Garden Plan). Since my Raised Beds has been resting, covered with leaves and Grass Clippings for the last weeks I need to remove the Leaves and Grass Clippings before it freezes in order to be able to Winter Sow them in January.

Raised Beds before I stripped the cover of:

Simply removing the covering Leaves and Grass Clippings from the Raised Beds that I plan to Winter Sow to the Raised Beds that I will not use until spring:

The Soil is looking way better already. It is only about 2 month since I started digging these Deep Beds and I'm surprised about how much the Soil has improved with the cover material on top of it. (More about the Deep digging and Garden Construction in this post: Building a Raised Bed Kitchen Garden).

Done with the clean up. You can see my self watering drip system now showing in the cleared Beds:

Now I just have to wait until January and until the snow comes back to start the Winter Sowing. (For those of you that want to know more about Winter Sowing right now.. have a look at my Winter Sowing post from last year.)

nige

Re: Preparing Raised Beds for Winter Sowing

Sat May 20, 2017 2:07 am

As for winter planting, have you thought of garlic?
You plant in October, it comes up, gets capped by the cold, then in the spring the garlic bulbs send up more shoots they will wilt about late spring and turn brown, Then you harvest the fullest flavored garlic you have ever tried..it is the killing off during the winter that makes the bulb separate into cloves.
You can even grow elephant garlic from Walmart and each clove makes a whole tasty new bulb..in fact, any garlic you can purchase in any grocery store, hard neck soft neck,elephant, it all grows and has a much better, stronger flavor than store bought. By the way, have you noticed the price of garlic? $$$$$$$ make your own garlic powder....health benefits.... I do go on a bit,.... I will stop now...
nige