Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
John Wood

Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Many thanks for your reply and I look forward to sharing anything that might be relevant or of general interest. On that note I've just this morning made this from steel reinforcing mesh recovered from a building site, as a support for soft fruit come the summer. I'm hoping it'll keep wildly unruly raspberries in check!ImageImage

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:33 pm

John Wood wrote:Many thanks for your reply and I look forward to sharing anything that might be relevant or of general interest. On that note I've just this morning made this from steel reinforcing mesh recovered from a building site, as a support for soft fruit come the summer. I'm hoping it'll keep wildly unruly raspberries in check!..
Wow! This deserves a separate topic, so I moved this post to this new topic! 
That looks really good! Clever and simple solution. Keep us posted on how it works out as the Raspberries start to grow. 
I'm curious about the "roof plastic" used as hoops/mini tunnels that I can see in the background. How do they hold up? I tried to do something similar, but never got them good enough. Mine tended to wobble quite much and was pressed to the ground by snow.. (Now I just got it laying flat on top of my raised beds, not as pretty but works well as a super simple cold frame)
John Wood

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Sanna, Many thanks for your enthusiasm. It was pouring with rain when I made this this morning, so your encouragement much appreciated! This is all new at the allotment, so nothing's yet tried and tested. I'll be happy to keep you and the group posted as things progress if you feel it'd be of interest. I'll take some clearer photos of the plastic roofing when I'm next there (tomorrow, I'm sure!) There was a big storm here last week and they're still there, so it looks like they'll hold out well enough! 
John Wood

Re: RE: Re: Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 pm

John Wood wrote:Hi Sanna, Many thanks for your enthusiasm. It was pouring with rain when I made this this morning, so your encouragement much appreciated! This is all new at the allotment, so nothing's yet tried and tested. I'll be happy to keep you and the group posted as things progress if you feel it'd be of interest. I'll take some clearer photos of the plastic roofing when I'm next there (tomorrow, I'm sure!) There was a big storm here last week and they're still there, so it looks like they'll hold out well enough! 
Hi Sanna, here's a clearer view of these ultra simple roofing plastic beds. You'll see I simply wedged them in-between lengths of 4x2 timber. The flex in the plastic's easily enough to hold them in place without the need for any additional fixings Image

John Wood

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 pm

John Wood wrote:
John Wood wrote:Hi Sanna, Many thanks for your enthusiasm. It was pouring with rain when I made this this morning, so your encouragement much appreciated! This is all new at the allotment, so nothing's yet tried and tested. I'll be happy to keep you and the group posted as things progress if you feel it'd be of interest. I'll take some clearer photos of the plastic roofing when I'm next there (tomorrow, I'm sure!) There was a big storm here last week and they're still there, so it looks like they'll hold out well enough! 
Hi Sanna, here's a clearer view of these ultra simple roofing plastic beds. You'll see I simply wedged them in-between lengths of 4x2 timber. The flex in the plastic's easily enough to hold them in place without the need for any additional fixings Image

John Wood

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 am

What a brilliant idea. Just had to share this one!

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:18 am

John Wood wrote: Image

Maybe I just made mine to high? I found an old picture from when I tried it out in November:
Comparing it to your set up, I think that I made mine to high which made them weaker...? I think your solution is very simple and clever, and also pretty! What do you plan to grow in these beds?
John Wood

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Raspberry support made of steel reinforcing mesh

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Sanna wrote:
John Wood wrote: Image

Maybe I just made mine to high? I found an old picture from when I tried it out in November:
Comparing it to your set up, I think that I made mine to high which made them weaker...? I think your solution is very simple and clever, and also pretty! What do you plan to grow in these beds?
Sanna yours look great to me. Mine are certainly no cleverer or prettier than yours!
I've just today planted some Mizuma, Endive and Ho-zi-me in one of them.
I'll take photos once things begin to happen!

FlatFarmer

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Good looking trellis! Image

bluebutterfly123

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm

That's a great idea for the raspberries.. And the garden boxes..
For the raspberries in my yard I decided to put them on my chain link fence, on the sidewalk side of the property.. The reason for that is.. When I was a child I used to come home from school walking.. On the route home there was a house that had the whole fence covered in raspberry bushes.. And I used to pick and eat them ..
Now as an adult I hope to have ppl feel free to picking our raspberries tooand last yr I actually had a little toddler want to pick some with his mom as they walked by

They say when a person plants a send (plant) they getting blessings of 3 kinds..
One.. for the helping give the plant a life
Two.. for the animals that eat off it or benefit from it
And three.. For the ppl that eat from it

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:41 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:That's a great idea for the raspberries.. And the garden boxes..
For the raspberries in my yard I decided to put them on my chain link fence, on the sidewalk side of the property.. The reason for that is.. When I was a child I used to come home from school walking.. On the route home there was a house that had the whole fence covered in raspberry bushes.. And I used to pick and eat them ImageImageImage..
Now as an adult I hope to have ppl feel free to picking our raspberries tooImageand last yr I actually had a little toddler want to pick some with his mom as they walked byImageImage

They say when a person plants a send (plant) they getting blessings of 3 kinds..
One.. for the helping give the plant a life
Two.. for the animals that eat off it or benefit from it
And three.. For the ppl that eat from itImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
That's such a nice story! 

Return to “Other Tips, Tools & Techniques”