Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Starting, restarting and restarting Kale, Broccoli and Swiss Chard again..

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Sanna
Site Admin

Starting, restarting and restarting Kale, Broccoli and Swiss Chard again..

Sun May 08, 2016 7:26 pm

So.. as the headline says - I have not been lucky with my Green Kale, Broccoli and Swiss Chard this year. I had a plan to start them early, but still try to get strong Plants. The result is: me restarting all of them THREE times, last one today. Here's the story. Any advice is welcome! :)

First try:
I first started the seeds in February. What came up was really quite thin and sad:

Kale and Swiss Chard

Broccoli

Decided to try to save the Broccoli, did not have to much hope.. but they were at least alive. ;)

Second try:
I now decided to start them in a slightly larger seed tray than the first batch. I also suspected that the room where I tried to grow the first batch was to warm, so I started the second batch with a Grow Light in the basement (around 16 degrees Celcius).

Started a tray, watered, placed under grow light:

These grew even worse!

I decided to put all of them outdoors in the Cold Frame (not sure why..)

Did not go to well.. 

Trying to save the second batch. Replanting them and putting them back indoors:

Third try:
Restarting a third batch today. Sowing, watering, lid on. Keeping this indoors in room temperature and in a sunny window. 

Keep your fingers crossed! I'm not really keen on repeating one more time.. ;-)

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Starting, restarting and restarting Kale, Broccoli and Swiss Chard again..

Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 am

I got the advice to use a fan. That is supposed to keep the seedlings from stretching, and strengthen the stem. Great advice and I will try it on this third batch! (Then I will not really know if it's better due to the fan, or due to me starting them later in the season.. but at this stage - I will be happy if I get good Plants...) :-)
heatherdarko

Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 pm

I had the same troubles with my kale, spinach and Swiss chard. I've now transplanted the seedlings I started in a little greenhouse outside to my raised garden bed. I think I kept them too warm? I transplanted my spinach earlier and it's now doing much better. I'm hoping for the same with my kale and chard. Although my kale is starting to perk up already.

Here is my Swiss chard just transplanted.

This is the blue scotch kale I transplanted about a little over a week ago. (Which started out looking like the chard-in fact the one in the middle was transplanted just a few days ago vs the rest)

And this is the spinach I transplanted out a wee bit over two weeks ago. It's doing pretty good Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue May 10, 2016 5:42 pm

This gives me hope! :-) Thank you! The Kale looks great! And your probably right that the rest will catch up once it's in the bed.

I guess from the pictures that you use a Square Foot plan aswell? How big is your raised bed? 
heatherdarko

Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 pm

I am trying the SFG method for my first year yes . I thought it would be the best way for me to stay organized and know what everything is. That raised bed is 4' x 8'. I also made it very tall so it keeps my spouses dog out and I don't have to bend over

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun May 15, 2016 12:54 pm

heatherdarko wrote:I am trying the SFG method for my first year yes Image. I thought it would be the best way for me to stay organized and know what everything is. That raised bed is 4' x 8'. I also made it very tall so it keeps my spouses dog out and I don't have to bend over Image

I like it for the same reason. Also seems to work great to have deep beds and grow the veggies really close. Trying Carrots and Beetrots n my Square Foot beds this year for the first time, interesting to see if there is proper room for the roots.
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 pm

The result from the third batch is still a bit depressing. However there is some success with the two poor Swiss Chard Plants that were saved from batch no.2. Two Plants are catching up and enjoying the outdoor weather. First harvest today!

I plan to rethink and try to start all of these outdoors, winter sowing, next year. 

Return to “Growing Other Vegetables”