Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Tomatos and onions struggling

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
Samc

Tomatos and onions struggling

Thu May 18, 2017 7:49 pm

We have had a lot of rain recently, does anyone think this would effect the way in which my tomatos and onions are growing. I planted my onions on Sunday the 14th and my tomatos on 9th of April. The tomatos were doing very well but slowed in growing so I moved them into a bigger pot but also outside and since then there has been endless rain and no sun. Hoping it will come out again soon

Thank you

bluebutterfly123

Re: Tomatos and onions struggling

Thu May 18, 2017 8:12 pm

If they are still outside I think it will slow down height growth.. But the plants will work on growing thicker, so the elements can't knock them over as easily.. Just be careful their not drowning in water though.. Especially for so many days on end..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Samc

Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 am

Yea I have tried to cover them the best I can. They have been moved to a raised bed with better drainage so hopefully with a bit of help from the sun (when he comes out) it will dry up a little and things will get back to normal. For now I have to deal with the slugs aha
Samc

Fri May 19, 2017 4:42 pm

I also realised my tomato leaves are going purple underneath, is this also due to too much water and lack of sun?
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Samc wrote:I also realised my tomato leaves are going purple underneath, is this also due to too much water and lack of sun?
That is due to lack of nutrients. Easy to fix. Image Add manure, liquid nutrients or grass clippings.

(Overwatering can also cause lack of nutrients, but that would rather make the leaves a bit yellowish..)

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
nige

Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 pm

i agree, tomatoes do not tolerate wet feet, as for the slugs and a nails, put a deep plate at ground level and fill with the cheapest, smelling beer you can find, they will flock to the beer, get drunk and drown...
If you have acces to large, clear plastic trash bags you could place them over the tomato plants, it will act as a hot house so remove when the sun and warmth returns ore you will cook your plants and end up with blossom drop..
Good luck with the plants, what veriaty did you grow?
Nige.
Samc

Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Might sound like a silly question but With grass trimmings do I just place them on top of the soil or do I need do bury them a little? Thank you nige that sounds like a good idea plus it will hopefully keep the rain off for a little while. Meant to warm up and be sunny next week so only 2 days of rain left haha. ( with a bit of luck anyway you know how the weather changes)
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Samc wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm
Might sound like a silly question but With grass trimmings do I just place them on top of the soil or do I need do bury them a little? Thank you nige that sounds like a good idea plus it will hopefully keep the rain off for a little while. Meant to warm up and be sunny next week so only 2 days of rain left haha. ( with a bit of luck anyway you know how the weather changes)

There are no silly questions at this forum! I just put my grass clippings on top of the soil, and try to have a 5-10 cm layer. Some people thinks it looks a bit messy, but I like it since it keeps the soil from drying up when it's getting really warm outdoors. Here's one example from today (but with spinach.. same method though). Don't put grass clippings all the way under the plant, save a little circle around the plant to allow the stem to breathe properly and avoid it to get to wet and rot:

nige

Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Grass clippings
I normally lay my fresh clippings around the plants.
This way the nitrogen leaches into the soil slower but a little every time you water helps a great deal.
Also, the clippings can act as a mulch and reduce the moisture loss due to evaporation and is a slight deterrent to pesky weed growth. Weeds will still try to grow through but will be less and easier to pull due to moist soil.
nige
HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 pm

This is a FANTASTIC idea! I use mulch but I am going to try this out for size. Thank you for sharing!

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Sat May 20, 2017 3:15 am

Lol I'm growing my grass to do the same.. Hopefully it'll help keep the soil from drying up

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Samc

Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am

Thank you that's brilliant as I cut my grass a couple of days ago. Hopefully with that and a bit of sun they will get back on track.
nige

Sat May 20, 2017 11:41 pm

One thing
If you leave a little space so the clippings do not actually touch the stem of your plants, just around the plant stem there is NO chance of burning even your most delicate plants

I am tired, just finished shoveling 66 cubic feet out of a raised bed, rebuilt the frame of the bed then put that 66 cubic feet back into that bed... Had to do it, it is one of the new beds in the bigger green house.. But.....there's that word again, I have room for MORE TOMATOES... dare I say...yea very very quietly
nige

Return to “Growing Tomatoes”