Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Got bugs!!

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
iDan

Got bugs!!

Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Got bugs all over my plants as I've moved them outside in the last 2 weeks and I checked due to the leaves curling inwards and found these little thing!
What are they and how to do I kill them keeping my plant organic and safe to eat when ready?

LittleChili

Re: Got bugs!!

Fri May 20, 2016 5:08 am

This is some type of aphids! Not very nice.. but seems to happen to chilli growers every now ant then! And this does not look to bad yet!

What I ususally do when my Chilli Plant get aphids or bugs is:

1. Manually remove/kill every bug you se on the plant. Make sure to check all the leaves. If there is many on one leave - remove it to be on the safe side.

2. Spray or wash the plant. I use a homemade spray that I make of a kind of Pine Soap that are sold here in Sweden with Ethanol/Ethyl alcohol. I know that they also sell this kind of soap on Tesco - if you'r in UK: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... 750ml.html. There is probably similar products on the market in all countries just that I'm not sure how to translate properly (maybe anyone else can help?). There is also aphid sprays to buy - but I have never tried any of them. This is always doing the trick for me.

Recepie of my homemade chilli aphid spray: Mix: 5 dl of water, 1 dl of Soap and 1 table spoon of Ethanol.

Spray the plant (a lot). Make sure to spray all sides of the leaves and also the pot and soil.

3. Let the plant dry up. Check it every day. If you see more aphids - repeat the treatment.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
iDan

Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 pm

I have tried this recipe and it seems to have damaged it in some way, it has dried in dark marks on the leaves and the plant looks half dead. Any idea how I can perk it up again?
Sanna
Site Admin

Wed May 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I have not tried this treatment, but It sounds fairly reasonable to me. I have treated plants with soap (and things similar to soap) but that has required several treatments to get rid of the little creatures. Maybe the ethanol is the magic trick even though it obviously seems to be a bit rough on the Plant? The Plant will probably catch up though. Did the treatment remove the aphids or are they still there? 
iDan

Wed May 25, 2016 9:45 pm

It has seemed to have rid them for now, I only used the soap and water but have recently brought some organic insecticide soap and one back to full health of the bugs are still about I will try this new stuff.
LittleChili

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Oh! I have done the treatment as I described it several times, but never seen brown spots like that following a treatment. How are the Plants doing now? (And the bugs!?)
iDan

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 pm

After using the organic stuff it's been amazing. See the odd bug now and then but this stuff it's definitely keeping them away! The plant I showed you is still in poor condition but looks like it will pull though, I had s cut the dead leaves off as they went totally brown and didn't want to waste the plants energy on keeping the dead leaves alive.
It's now trying to flower the poor thing but it's quite bare.

Return to “Growing Chilli”