Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

To Mulch or not to mulch herbs?

🌱🌿 Sharings and questions on Herbs and Herb Gardens
Jasminium15

To Mulch or not to mulch herbs?

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:24 am

What herbs should you mulch?

What is the ourpose of mulching?

When do you mulch?

Is it ok to mulch herbs?

Is pine bark mulch a good brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: To Mulch or not to mulch herbs?

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Jasminium15 wrote:What herbs should you mulch?

What is the ourpose of mulching?

When do you mulch?

Is it ok to mulch herbs?

Is pine bark mulch a good brand?

Hi,
I would not recommend to cover herbs with bark. The reason is that bark mulch needs nitrogen as it decomposes, and simply steals nitrogen from the herbs (or vegetables). I only use bark as ground cover between my raised beds. After a few years when the mulch has decomposed in the aisles and the risk of "nitrogen stealing" has passed, I simply shovel the bark into the Raised Beds and let it improve the soil structure.
In the Raised Beds where I grow my vegetables I instead cover the ground with grass clipping and leaves. This gives the same good effects in terms of removing the need of manual weeding and also keeping the soil beneath the grass clippings from drying out, and adds nitrogen instead of stealing it. (Maybe not as pretty, but is working very well for me.)
However, I use the same principle for all herbs and vegetables, and there might be specific herbs that are more tolerant?
Sanna
Jasminium15

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:09 am

Thank you Senna

bluebutterfly123

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 am

I don't mulch mine either... And it grew Ver nicely last year.. Is starting to grow again now.. Sage and mint.. Will try lavender this yr

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Growing Herbs”