Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

General HELP: transplant well rooted lavender, good time or not, tips and experience needed

🌱🌿 Sharings and questions on Herbs and Herb Gardens
Jasminium15

General HELP: transplant well rooted lavender, good time or not, tips and experience needed

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 am

Hi guys and gals,

I live in South Texas. In the summer, I planted lavender in a big pot, huge pot rather, along with fall aster(which hasnt bloomed or grown much at all) and some angelonia flowers (which as of now take up most of the pot).

However, the pot is not getting good drainage and I am scared my beautiful lavender which is strong just by feeling the roots when I touch it, will rot as well over the winter, or have started to already.

I have another pot, that is the perfect size for a transplant, however I have never done a "re-re transplant" so to speak meaning: a transplant with plants that have already grown into my soil.

How would I do this?

Any great links out there?

Should I wait until the spring to transplant, or do you think I will be ok?

I am not sure how deep the roots are, but what precautions can I take to make sure its a successful re-re-transplant?

My lavender has been growing in this huge pot for approximately 4-5 months, its a medium size plant, but I just want it to get better drainage, and I am scared that the roots from the Angelonia flowers and the fall aster are over crowding the lavender's roots.

There arent any phsyical signs that the lavender is suffering, in fact, its grown a nice woody base that it didnt have when it was a baby. However I just dont know.

But since the weather is still in the 90s down here for a couple of weeks or so, I might need to act fast if you think I should transplant based on these facts.

I would really appreciate your past experiences in transplanting herbs and your advice especially with Lavender.

Thank you guys and gals for reading my post!

By the way my lavender has not flowered yet, and I am hoping for some beautiful blossoms next year!

ANY HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!
Last edited by Jasminium15 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheD

Re: General HELP: transplant well rooted lavender, good time or not, tips and experience needed

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 am

Hi!

If you want to be on the very safe side you should wait until spring. Smaller lavendar plants can be moved in the autumn (after flowering). Bigger/older lavendar plants has larger root systems. If you risk to cut the roots of when you move it you might also want to cut the plant back to give it a chance to regrow/recover. It will regrow better in the spring. 

When you move it try to dig out a big lump with all the roots. If you move it in the spring: cut the plant back and let it regrow. It should recover fast in the spring but might not flower the first year after you've moved it. 

If you think that the root system is still small you can move it now during autumn. Don't cut the plant back if you move it now.

Hope this helps and let me know how it works out.
Jasminium15

Re: General HELP: transplant well rooted lavender, good time or not, tips and experience needed

Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:27 am

TheD wrote:Hi!

If you want to be on the very safe side you should wait until spring. Smaller lavendar plants can be moved in the autumn (after flowering). Bigger/older lavendar plants has larger root systems. If you risk to cut the roots of when you move it you might also want to cut the plant back to give it a chance to regrow/recover. It will regrow better in the spring. 

When you move it try to dig out a big lump with all the roots. If you move it in the spring: cut the plant back and let it regrow. It should recover fast in the spring but might not flower the first year after you've moved it. 

If you think that the root system is still small you can move it now during autumn. Don't cut the plant back if you move it now.

Hope this helps and let me know how it works out.
This definitely has helped.

I ended up moving it into a bigger container not too big out a more snug one and lrettier too.

I hope it and my yarrow flower next year. Are their products that will force it to flower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Growing Herbs”