Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Help lavender south Texas too

🌱🌿 Sharings and questions on Herbs and Herb Gardens
Jasminium15

Help lavender south Texas too

Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 am

I planted a lavender and a yarrow plant that were pretty small earlier this year around July. They grew a lot bigger but only foliage. They have a little room to grow in their pots to grow some more over the winter, but then I Plan on transplanting them to larger containers to force them to problems?
Is the problem they won't flower that they were too small to flower last season?
Or is it because they need to be put into larger pots to flower. They are both already in pretty medium sized pots.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Help lavender south Texas too

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 am

Jasminium15 wrote:I planted a lavender and a yarrow plant that were pretty small earlier this year around July. They grew a lot bigger but only foliage. They have a little room to grow in their pots to grow some more over the winter, but then I Plan on transplanting them to larger containers to force them to problems?
Is the problem they won't flower that they were too small to flower last season?
Or is it because they need to be put into larger pots to flower. They are both already in pretty medium sized pots.

Thanks

I'm not sure why it's not flowering.. is it a young plant or an old plant?
Jasminium15

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Yes it's a baby plant I bought at a nursery.

Should I dig it up and see the root formation or wait until spring?

Can I post pictures of my plants on here? That way you could have a better understanding of what's afflicting them.

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Jasminium15 wrote:Yes it's a baby plant I bought at a nursery.

Should I dig it up and see the root formation or wait until spring?

Can I post pictures of my plants on here? That way you could have a better understanding of what's afflicting them.

Yes, please post pictures! I love to see what other people on this forum is growing! :)
Jasminium15

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Cool I found the button. Too bad it's such a dark day down here. Lots of rain. First cold front that's lasted for Texas I would say.

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Jasminium15 wrote:Cool I found the button. Too bad it's such a dark day down here. Lots of rain. First cold front that's lasted for Texas I would say.

What's the temperature in Texas this time of the year? 
I don't think that you should dig it up right now.. wait and see if it catches up. Add nutrients when you water it in the spring and I think it will be fine.
Jasminium15

Re: Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Here are some pictures of my yarrow
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
Here is a pic of my lavender again the lighting is pretty bad bc of all the clouds
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG

Also here is a Black and Blue Salvia growing with Rue in a medium sized pot. I don't know if those Salvia leaves will make it the winter. I was going to pick them but missed harvest season so I just have decided to leave them. Excuse the horrible picture quality
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Can I start chilli seeds indoors in november?

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Jasminium15 wrote:Here are some pictures ...
Thank you! Always inspiring to see what someone else is growing. I think that the Lavender Plant looks good, and think that it will be flowering in the spring. I would not repot it now. It's still a quite small plant so I think it might just need to establish.
Love the Yarrow. Do you grow it for decorations, or do you use it for tea or something else?
Jasminium15

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:22 pm

I love the way Yarrow tastes in a good salad with some great Strawberry dressing it gives it a lot of diversity. I don't know why more people don't grow yarrow in the winter like winter cabbages.
You can see my little dog has been eating a couple leaves or two. He likes it every once in awhile its funny.
Can you make the leaves into tea? I know you can with the flowers but I am not sure what other uses the leaves can be for. I know in Medieval Times they used Yarrow to stop bleeding on the battlefield.
Thanks for saying my Lavender looks good. I decided to replant her a couple of weeks ago before it got too cold. I too hope it flowers in early summer. When should I be looking out for the flowers of them to come out?

Return to “Growing Herbs”