Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Overwintering Chilli

Oh yeah! Hangout for Chilli Lovers! 🌶 Beginners and pros in a lovely mix!
FlatFarmer

Overwintering Chilli

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:01 pm

I moved 3 chilli plants indoors to one of my windows to wait for the chillis to ripen. The plants still look good and it's now december. Can/should i save them for spring? This is how they look:

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

LittleChili

Re: Overwintering Chilli

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes, you can overwinter Chilli Plants! Your Plants look great so I'm sure that saving them for next season is an easy thing to do. :-) I sometimes overwinter my Plants, but this year I got so much aphids on my Chilli Plants when I moved them indoors and decided to throw them away.

I know and use two different ways of overwintering Chilli Plants: In both cases: 
  • Check for aphids/bugs before you move the Chilli Plants to your Winter Storage are. Treat the plants to get rid of the aphids/bugs if there is any signs at all that you have these problems.
  • Prune the Plant in early spring before it starts to grow again. I cut some of them quite hard, they will regrow and still be ahead of Plants started from Seeds the same season.
Hope this helps! 
Ava R.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:16 am

The first two are habaneros I presume? I am growing Habaneros finally and will put a topic about it on here.
FlatFarmer

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:20 am

I am making an experiment. I have cut down one of the plants and moved it to an outdoor shed that i have. Let's hope that it's warm enough for it to survive the winter! The other two are still in my window sill indoors. 

I don't think it's habaneros, but i'm not sure. The orange ones are called Madame Jeanette. 
Ava R.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:27 pm

Madame Jeanette is different. The shape and size looks like a habanero.
LittleChili

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:35 am

Madame Jeanette is actually a Capsicum Chinense. It's said to be "Habanero like" in taste, but is actually not an Habanero. According to Wikipedia it's used in Surinamese cuisine. Anyone who knows more about how to best use it?

Return to “Growing Chilli”