Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

How deep the roots

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
nige

How deep the roots

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:50 am

As the USA appears to be going through a "dry period" I am thinking about changing the way I plant mine.
Normally I lay my tomato stems and cover them so that just the top few leaves show, this means, even with mulching I need to have a watering system that delivers a fair amount of water due to the roots not being so deep. This next season I am thinking I should plant deep and bury the plant into a hole not a trough, then add the same mulch. I have noticed that when I dig deeper there is a pronounced increase in the amount of moisture in the soil as opposed dryer top soil of the trough system
Has anyone tried this deep planting? And, what were your results

please and thank you

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: How deep the roots

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:19 am

nige wrote:As the USA appears to be going through a "dry period" I am thinking about changing the way I plant mine.
Normally I lay my tomato stems and cover them so that just the top few leaves show, this means, even with mulching I need to have a watering system that delivers a fair amount of water due to the roots not being so deep.  This next season I am thinking I should plant deep and bury the plant into a hole not a trough, then add the same mulch.  I have noticed that when I dig deeper there is a pronounced increase in the amount of moisture in the soil as opposed dryer top soil of the trough system
Has anyone tried this deep planting? And, what were your results

please and thank you

Very interesting topic! I have a drip system in my garden, but I'm still trying to save water (might not take to long until we are not allowed to water as we've done before..) Anyway.. this is what I've learned so far on getting deeper Tomato Roots:
  • Sowing: After sowing and sprouting, transplant the little Tomato Plant to a deep pot. I can reuse pots from store bought Rose Plants, or simply make my own out of milk cartons (just cut the top of and make holes in the bottom). As the Tomato Plant grows, simply add soil to the pot. This makes the plant grow new Roots all through the Stem, and as the Plant is ready to be transplanted outdoors you already have a 20 cm high Root System. I can show this in a post in March when I start my Tomatoes for next season.
  • Planting: Plant as deep as you can. Not much of the Tomato Plant needs to be above ground level. New roots will grow from the Stem that is buried under ground.
  • Caring: Water the Tomato Plant when you transplant it outdoors, then stop watering for as long as you can. Turn your Watering System of for some time. How long you can pause the watering depends on how warm it is, so you need to watch the Plants. The idea is: If your Plants doesn't get served water easily, they will try to find it themselves. Instead of growing wide and shallow Roots, the plant will search for water and grow deeper Roots instead. This requires less watering during the rest of the season. I have found that this is working for most Vegetables, and during the weeks where I move a lot of Plants outdoors I always shut down the watering system. Benefits most of them in the long run. Some thinks that this makes watering almost unnecessary if you combine with mulching, but I have not been able to reach that point yet! 
I have my Tomatoes in Raised Deep Beds. Where do you grow yours?
nige

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

I grow my tomatoes all around the garden.
Here in Wichita we have heavy clay so all raised beds. I repurpose wood, for the frames, very mature horse manure, grass clippings and coffee grounds by the sackful from coffee shops. The wood frames are salvaged pallets. Two years ago the dilapidated garage fell in on me leaving the concrete pad still solid so I put more raised beds there. There is also the greenhouse totally built with reclaimed building materials, the green house interior is 18'X10' with raised beds and a slot for hydroponic, Kratki static water method. This winter I am doubling the amount of box availability so plenty of room. My boxes are at least 12-16 inches deep in the growth media.. I have noticed more flavorful fruit in the dirt beds compared to hydroponic so this year I am adding a small sack of soil in the buckets to do a taste test comparison yep, keeping occupied and my main expense is the screws.... How about you?

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Wow! That sounds like an impressive garden! Feel free to share any updates, tips, ideas from the different areas or vegetables here on the forum. It's always inspiring to see how others are growing their food and what is working well (and not..)

I would really like a Greenhouse! I have 3 versions of smaller balcony greenhouses and some cold frames, but I would love a proper Greenhouse or a Polytunnel. I just need a good spot to place a Greenhouse before I start to build one.. Your garage story gave me some ideas.. ;) I have 4 Wicking Beds, some raised beds made with stone framing, some other raised beds, a Herb Garden-area, the New Kitchen Garden area with 25 Framed Deep Beds, loads and loads of Buckets - some in Frames working as Water Reservoirs and some just standing around or hanging in my Pergola. And a fruit/berry garden with raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries and stuff like that (but it pretty much manages itself..) 
nige

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 am

And I thought I was a gardening fanatic, wow!! I think the biggest problem gardeners are going to encounter is the water situation. Along with many other gardeners I am concerned with the chemicals in our drinking water so I try to collect as much rainwater as possible. At one time I had storage capacity of over 1000 gallons of rainwater but along with that I had a bumper crop of mosquitos!!

I am trying to venture into the herb garden but for some reason it does not want to flourish. I have tried raspberries and blackberry but the root? canes? just disappeared no clue what happened to them.
I remember my father's garden back home in England, he loved gooseberries and there was always pies cooling off with ice cream.
My father's garden also had rhubarb and strawberry beds. The rhubarb had buckets with the bottoms taken out to encourage the stalks, as a much younger boy I would walk around the garden eating the stalks raw dipping the end in a cup of sugar, another pie in the favorite list strawberry and rhubarb was always a summer treat. It was only a couple of years ago I was told by my cardiologist that rhubarb was a no no with the meds I was on.
It is with that wonderful bit of news I started on the hunt for Anthocyanin rich vegetables... But more about that later..

Where are you situated? It sounds like you are making the most of the space you have.. Are we able to download photographs on this forum?
Thank you for answering so promptly...
nige

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:52 am

I am not as concerned with chemicals in the water, as with plastics in general.. But then I was the one who put plastic in my wicking beds back when I did not worry.. I'm in Scandinavia - Sweden so the things you describe with Goosberries and Rhubarb stalks and sugar are all familliar to me. :) It is really lovely memories that you describe! I'm sorry that you can't eat Rhubarb anymore, but It sounds like another journey started with that? I'd love to hear more about the Anthocyanin rich food and how it's related to your Gardening. That's a great separate topic to post whenever you want to. :)

Please feel free to upload photos and start new topics! We love to see pictures! We started this forum to have a place to share with other gardeners, and love when questions are mixed with stories or when someone takes us on a journey and let us share the joys and frustrations of gardening. Some examples of topics that we loved to follow from last season are user FlatFarmer's Trying a Tomato Plant Starter Kit, user EmmaGupH's experiments with Hydroponic Potatoes, or user LittleChili comparing Topped vs. Non Topped Chilli Plants

This is still a very small community, so you really learn each others gardens and can help each other out and share tips and ideas. 
nige

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 am

You have inspired me

Just a side note, when I was a merchant seaman I had a pen pall from Stockholm, we corresponded for 2-3 years, I was 16..... I am now 66

I will be getting information together for the Anthocyanin notes...
I have been trying to increase the Anthocyanin content within tomatoes because the chemical helps with... Breast cancer, Prostate cancer, obesity, diabetes and a couple of other things, I am trying through cross pollination without genetically modifying....
So far, this year I have lost about 18kg, have beaten prostate cancer, (I was receiving treatment so cannot take all the credit on that one) an my heart is getting stronger? I have a Reasurch scientist staying with my wife and I, he has stage 4 non lymphatic cancer and his organs have started to shink back and lab work is ALL within normal limits.
I DO NOT CLAIM THE TOMATOES ARE DOING THIS, but, they are very different looking tomatoes, they are brown, not red... And yes, I have seeds...

Will try to uploads photos
Nige

Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 pm

That is very interesting to read! There is probably HUGE health wins that can be done by changing how we eat. I hope that anything organically homegrown is better than what you can buy in a store. Hope that the ideas on planting Tomatoes deeper will help further. Looking forward to read more about this! :)
Ava R.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:14 am

That is amazing.. I have always wanted to help people increase their changes of life, I also really enjoy horticulture. I might start looking into what each plants specific benefit. It would be cool to grow something that could help people!
Ava R.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 am

Its really cool that the antocyanins help fight cancer etc. The lycopene can also help with inflamation and can unclogg arteries in the heart. What tomatoes did you cross pollinate? Indigo Rose? I think what you are doing is really cool. The caroteniod lycopene also helps prevent heart attacks/stroke. The lycopene can also help ostioperousis, rhumatoid athritis and other joint pains. If needed you can tell me in a PM.
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi everyone,

The posts on Nige's Anthocyanin rich Tomatoes is very interesting to follow and participate in, and I think that it deserves a separate topic. I moved it here and merged with Nige's previously uploaded pictures of the Purple Tomatoes: 
High Anthocyanin Food - Growing Purple Tomatoes

This change will make it easier for new users to find the posts, and you can continue to share and discuss the Purple Tomatoes there. :-)

Sanna (the moderator)
nige

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:00 pm

nige wrote:Find something that is beneficial for health, hard to find, unique, really fresh with a good local following that you can grow. For instance, something a local eatery would love to use in their food.

Simple right?
Good luck
nige

nige

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 pm

News update, growing deep...
My black/brown tomato bush was rather leggy... So, I planted them VERY deep, and left just enough stalk to keep the lower leaves from touching the earth.. I also had removed some of the lower because they looked a little beaten up...
Well, the plant is now 5 foot tall, covered with clumps of flowers and has 2-3 groups of small tomatoes,
The main stalks are the thickness of a fat marker pen and the branches the size of a pencil...

The tomato I grew next to it with the trough system looks intimidated by the larger... SO I am deep planting the other 100+ long legged seedlings outside this week...

Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm

nige wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 pm
News update, growing deep...
My black/brown tomato bush was rather leggy... So, I planted them VERY deep, and left just enough stalk to keep the lower leaves from touching the earth.. I also had removed some of the lower because they looked a little beaten up...
Well, the plant is now 5 foot tall, covered with clumps of flowers and has 2-3 groups of small tomatoes,
The main stalks are the thickness of a fat marker pen and the branches the size of a pencil...

The tomato I grew next to it with the trough system looks intimidated by the larger... SO I am deep planting the other 100+ long legged seedlings outside this week...

Great and informative update! I will also try a very deep planting and compare it to a bit "wider" planting. I now have my Tomato Plants indoors in high Milk Cartons to develop the roots. 100+ is a lot of tomatoes! :)
nige

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Double update

The cross polonation to increase the Anthocyonin,
I have had a 33% positive change in the LOOK of the tomato plant..
The stalk, leaves and general appearance is a very dark purple/green and the stalks and branches? Are incredibly thick,
The other plants from the test batch of 25 seedlings, (5 did not flourish ), are the usual green but, again have very thick stalks and leaves..
Other obvious changes are the tomatoes themselves, at the present time they are slightly bigger than a golf ball with incredible deep dark green shoulders with the lower body of the fruit still darker than the early girl that is fruiting now.

Deep planting...
I dug a deeper that usual hole, took off the lower branches and leaves off filled the hole with water and placed the plant as deep as I could a filled in around the stalk so just the head was showing without leaves touching the dirt.. This is the method I used for the cross polonation sample mentioned above.
The other test batch I used my previous method of trough planting, (also a cross polonation). The results were that the deep planting has produced a larger plant, and earlier producing plant, an increase of about 8%

There is a slight increase of ANTHOCYANIN in the leaves and stems but big A hangs out there anyway, our target is to increase it in the fruit..

One last note. The cross may be crossed again this summer, depending on what the resurcher decides, but. The big taste test has yet to take place... I will keep you updated
nige

Return to “Growing Tomatoes”