Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Planting Rue next to Sage?

🌱🌿 Sharings and questions on Herbs and Herb Gardens
Jasminium15

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

I've read so many conflicting ideas on planting Rue next to other plants.

Some say Rue is good to plant with most herbs.

However some, looks like most according to the WWW, say that Rue is BAD to plant next to Sage and Basil while others do not.

It can inhibit their roots growth.

Link:

http://theherbexchange.com/rules-for-growing-rue/

http://www.motherearthliving.com/In-the ... arden-grow

Some say it's GOOD that Rue is to be planted next to Sage, Basil, even hyssops, mints, and rosemary etc without a problem.

Link:

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/compa ... ing-table/

What's your experience with Rue?
Any opinions whatsoever of yourself?
I think my Rue might have hurt my Purple Sage it is planted next too.
Help please.

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Planting Rue next to Sage?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:07 am

Very interesting! I did not know that much about Rue, have never tried it myself.

It seems to have a very interesting history as a Medical Herb! Even though it's slightly poisonous it seems to have been used a lot for more than 1500 years!

I will se if I can find any local information/learnings that might help.

Does it have a strong scent?

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:09 am

Oh! Good finding: Dry Rue Leaves, mix with water and spray on Plants to fight Aphids!

Jasminium15

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:25 am

Sanna wrote:Oh! Good finding: Dry Rue Leaves, mix with water and spray on Plants to fight Aphids!

Nice definitely will be doing this.
What would you suggest?
Should I transplant the Rue out of the Sage pot, and then keep it inside in a warm place with some artificial sun to minimize shock?
Jasminium15

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:25 am

Sanna wrote:Oh! Good finding: Dry Rue Leaves, mix with water and spray on Plants to fight Aphids!

Nice definitely will be doing this.
What would you suggest?
Should I transplant the Rue out of the Sage pot, and then keep it inside in a warm place with some artificial sun to minimize shock?

I have not harvested any but it's scent is not too strong at all. It attracts ladybugs and butterflies too (the good ones).
Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:15 pm

I would have them in separate pots, and bring the Rue indoors as it's not as cold resistant as the Sage. If your Sage seems a bit sad it might not be due to the Rue as such, but just because something else (the Rue in this case) is competing with the Sage for nutrients and root space?
Jasminium15

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:57 am

Sanna wrote:I would have them in separate pots, and bring the Rue indoors as it's not as cold resistant as the Sage. If your Sage seems a bit sad it might not be due to the Rue as such, but just because something else (the Rue in this case) is competing with the Sage for nutrients and root space?
Thank you Sanna. I will definitely be doing this in the coming days. If my Rue is only about 5 inches tall, could I plant him in like a large round plastic with a diameter of at least 5 inches and depth of 4?
What size would you suggest?
I'm just trying to think of movability for the winter.
Also my boungaonville leaves and branches are completely dead. I know the roots are fine. But should I cut off the branches and keep the pot watered inside maybe on top of a heating pad same with the Rue?
Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:48 am

I would select a slightly larger pot for the Rue (but I'm growing almost everything in buckets, so I might be overdoing that..)

For the overwintering, I would not add extra heat. I would instead go for slightly colder than room temperature if possible. The plants wants to sleep during the winter, so keep it a bit colder, water every to every other week. I would wait to cut it back until early spring, but it's OK to cut it now if you for example need to save some space. 
Jasminium15

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:52 am

Sanna wrote:I would select a slightly larger pot for the Rue (but I'm growing almost everything in buckets, so I might be overdoing that..)

For the overwintering, I would not add extra heat. I would instead go for slightly colder than room temperature if possible. The plants wants to sleep during the winter, so keep it a bit colder, water every to every other week. I would wait to cut it back until early spring, but it's OK to cut it now if you for example need to save some space. 
Thank you Sanna! You're the best! I've been doing "some major moving stuff around" phase. It's my first container garden winter, and I am never sure if I should keep the pot where this used to grow and was beautiful but is now dead or should I just throw it away and have some more space on my already tiny balcony. Im definitely thinking about getting rid of some pots for the summer and doing those boxes that hang over the balcony. They have some on eBay that are premade and you get way more space for a lot less money in case anyone is ever interested. The big name stores overcharge majorly on these products. Happy New Years.
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you <3 It's lovely to have some fellow gardeners to share and discuss with! Balcony Gardening really is a challenge. You never have enough space, and even though it might be frustrating there is so much inspiration to find for small spaces. It's like it's triggering you to be more crative to really use the space. If you haven't seen it already, have a look at this old post from user FlatFarmer: Tiny Balcony Garden. I think it's a beautiful balcony garden. 
Ava R.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:57 pm

This is my first balcony garden winter!
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Ava R. wrote:This is my first balcony garden winter!
How is your Balcony Garden doing Ava? What do you grow there right now?
Ava R.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:05 am

In the garden all is well! Thanks Sanna. I am growing radish habanero tomatoes jalapenos corn sunflower thai hot moss. I am starting new root crops such as onion and radish. I am also trying out potatoes. I am doing some grafting work with my jalapenos. I will post the topic soon.
Jasminium15

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Update: The Rue completely killed the Sage-drained It of nutrients. Lesson learned. Don't plant Sage with Rue.
Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:37 am

Jasminium15 wrote:Update: The Rue completely killed the Sage-drained It of nutrients. Lesson learned. Don't plant Sage with Rue.
Oh no! But a good gardening learning! Conclusion is to them in separate pots just to be sure.. 
Jasminium15

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:05 pm

I heard She has pretty flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Growing Herbs”