Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

2016 Gardening Learnings

Not sure where to start your topic? 👉 Start it here!
Sanna
Site Admin

2016 Gardening Learnings

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:00 pm

What was your best Gardening Learnings during 2016? I learned so much, and as usual there were some failures and some success! This is my top 5 learnings:

Winter Sowing Cabbage Seeds gives stronger Plants
I usually start my Cabbage Seeds outdoors by Winter Sowing in January or February and leaving them outdoors in plastic boxes. This year I tried to start them later indoors. That was not a success.. started 3 batches and only a few plants grew strong enough to transplant outdoors. Back to Winter Sowing Cabbage Seeds for 2017.

Don’t let your Corn Plants get Wet Feet
I had my Corn Plants in one of my Raised Wicking Beds this year, and they were all dead when I came back from Summer Vacation. I think it needed better drainage than my Wicking Beds could provide during last summer with heavy rain.

Do not grow to many Tomato Plants
As always, I started to many Tomato Plants. I can’t believe that I’m repeating this mistake year after year. And I don’t have the heart to get rid of them! Sooo.. new season i will be counting carefully.. Do not let me start more than 16 Tomato Plants next season!

Autumn gardening is great!
This is really a general learning. I still have a lot of potential to capture when it comes to Fall Gardening. I had Pak Choi, Mizuna, Napa Cabbage, Parsley, Swiss Chard and Jerusalem Artichokes in my Autumn Garden this year. It’s absolutely lovely to have fresh vegetables until November and I will heavily increase the number of Autumn Crops for next year. I am planning for that right now and plan to start sowing for my fall garden right after summer vacation. I'm adding Autumn Crops to every area as a third Vegetable Batch in my 2017 Garden Plan.

Cultivate Beetroot Seeds Indoors
Beetroot is great for indoor cultivation. Start seeds indoors, transplant them outdoors when they are small plants and ready to handle the tough outdoor environment. Works perfect, saves time and outdoor space.

Ava R.

Re: 2016 Gardening Learnings

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 am

1.) grow more (way more) pepper plants than needed. You might need it in the near future!

2.) no more tomato plants. Please! They take up my whole balcony garden pretty much.

3.) root crops dont take that long to mature.

4.) experiment! Try new things you have never thought you would do. (I tried grafting before and failed. Now I am trying again!)

5.) have fun with everything. Gardening isnʻt a time consuming hobby. Play around with things! Grow something crazy!

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:44 am

I Love your Garden Learnings Ava! 
Ava R.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks Sanna.
billyborden423