Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Disease on Agave

This is the board for general garden updates and any other sharings.
desert.rose

Disease on Agave

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:10 am

I recently noticed a spread of these white dots on my agave, wondering whether anyone knew the best method to deal with this, and what the blight could possibly be. Thank you heaps!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Disease on Agave

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 am

Does it look like blight or like small animals/aphids? Is it dry or sticky? It's a bit small on the picture, can you post a close up?

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
desert.rose

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 am

Sanna wrote:Does it look like blight or like small animals/aphids? Is it dry or sticky? It's a bit small on the picture, can you post a close up?

Here is a closer look. They're not sticky themselves, they come off when you rub them. Sort of like a thick powder, but they're stuck onto this plant. I'm not too sure how else to describe it. I applied some white oil. Would you have any other suggestions?
Thank you

Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am

Is that only on one Leaf so far?

It looks like Aphids to me. Try to wash and carefully scrape them off. I usually also spray with a homemade Garlic Spray: 2 cups of water, 2 pressed garlic cloves and 2 tbsp liquid dish soap. Spray both plant and soil.

Ava R.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 pm

I use soap water and epsom salt to get rid of my aphids. Then after spraying I put on a bit of cayenne pepper. Then wash.
Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Smart to use Cayenne Pepper. I might try that on some other bugs... do you rub it on the plants or spray it?

Ava R.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 am

I just sprinkle it on them. It treats many different types of bugs.
desert.rose

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:02 am

Ava R. wrote:I use soap water and epsom salt to get rid of my aphids. Then after spraying I put on a bit of cayenne pepper. Then wash.
Thank you for this.

desert.rose

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

Sanna wrote:Is that only on one Leaf so far?

It looks like Aphids to me. Try to wash and carefully scrape them off. I usually also spray with a homemade Garlic Spray: 2 cups of water, 2 pressed garlic cloves and 2 tbsp liquid dish soap. Spray both plant and soil.

Not on one leaf. It's scattered over the plant on different leaves. I'll try what you suggested once I get some garlic. Thank you .

Return to “Any other sharing”