Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

First Year Gardener

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
Espadas

First Year Gardener

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

This is my first year trying to grow anything, so obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read multiple articles and watched many gardening videos on growing cabbages in Georgia, and I recently transplanted my cabbages last week into soil mixed with peat moss and compost.

They were starting to wilt, and I saw one of them had a leaf that looked as if it had been chewed, which is odd since my fiancé built the bed high enough to keep our rabbits. I just mixed in some coffee grounds with the soil because I read that it deters other pests. They have started turning yellow and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: First Year Gardener

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:25 am

Espadas wrote:This is my first year trying to grow anything, so obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read multiple articles and watched many gardening videos on growing cabbages in Georgia, and I recently transplanted my cabbages last week into soil mixed with peat moss and compost.

They were starting to wilt, and I saw one of them had a leaf that looked as if it had been chewed, which is odd since my fiancé built the bed high enough to keep our rabbits. I just mixed in some coffee grounds with the soil because I read that it deters other pests. They have started turning yellow and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Welcome to Growerflow!

Yellow leaves might be a symptom to over watering, but since they are also wilting it could be something else.. How does the yellow leaves look? Can you add pictures?

Also: What type of Cabbage plants do you have? What size are the plants now?

Nice to hear that you are learning to grow food. We will support you through your first season! What else do you grow?

Espadas

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Sanna wrote:
Espadas wrote:This is my first year trying to grow anything, so obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. I've read multiple articles and watched many gardening videos on growing cabbages in Georgia, and I recently transplanted my cabbages last week into soil mixed with peat moss and compost.

Welcome to Growerflow!

Yellow leaves might be a symptom to over watering, but since they are also wilting it could be something else.. How does the yellow leaves look? Can you add pictures?

Also: What type of Cabbage plants do you have? What size are the plants now?

Nice to hear that you are learning to grow food. We will support you through your first season! What else do you grow?

Thank you! Here are some pictures. I'm seeing one of them has a lead that looks half eaten, some others have small holes. It rained over night, but I didn't water them yesterday because it rained earlier in the week and I watered them after adding coffee grounds a couple of days ago.

ImageImageImage

Espadas

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Leaf** sorry, autocorrect and not my first cup of coffee this morning...

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm

That actually looks more like some nutrient deficiency (affecting the older leaves).. So if you just transplanted them I think that they will catch up and be fine. Make sure to check both sides of the leaves for cabbage flies and aphids regularly. I always cover my cabbage plants with a net to keep pests away from them, but right now I still have my cabbage indoors. Good luck, and keep us posted. :-) 
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Espadas wrote:Leaf** sorry, autocorrect and not my first cup of coffee this morning...

Espadas

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:51 pm

How much are nets? We literally just built the bed a week ago with spare wood, so maybe I can find something to go over it.

Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Espadas wrote:How much are nets? We literally just built the bed a week ago with spare wood, so maybe I can find something to go over it.

You can use a lace curtain or fiber cloth if you have any of that. :-)
Espadas

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Should I cut away the dying leaves, or just let the plants be for now?

Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Espadas wrote:Should I cut away the dying leaves, or just let the plants be for now?

You can cut them of! :-)
Espadas

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm

So I dug up my cabbages because they were deteriorating since I transplanted them. Turns out the drainage in the garden was pretty much nonexistent, so the lower soil was staying wet. I took the remaining biodegradable pot off of the roots and improved the drainage system underneath the soil, then I added fresh soil and plant food and replanted all of my food. Hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 am

Espadas wrote:So I dug up my cabbages because they were deteriorating since I transplanted them. Turns out the drainage in the garden was pretty much nonexistent, so the lower soil was staying wet. I took the remaining biodegradable pot off of the roots and improved the drainage system underneath the soil, then I added fresh soil and plant food and replanted all of my food. Hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Great! That should do the trick. 
Espadas

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm

They're looking much better!! They're still not perfect, but now they're perky and filling out!! My onions are atrocious, though...

Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Espadas wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm
They're looking much better!! They're still not perfect, but now they're perky and filling out!! My onions are atrocious, though...

Great to see that your cabbages are recovering! It looks like they are doing really good! What else do you have in your garden?
Espadas

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm

I planted onions next to these. They're looking pretty atrocious. I have marigold seeds freshly planted and watermelon seedlings waiting to be transplanted.

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Espadas wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm
I planted onions next to these. They're looking pretty atrocious. I have marigold seeds freshly planted and watermelon seedlings waiting to be transplanted.

That sounds like a nice mix! I am expecting my watermelons to sprout any day now. :) Onions.. I have not started mine yet, so I guess that you have time to start new ones?
Espadas

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 pm

These onions were from my fiancé's season last year that didn't grow then, but they're apparently demanding a comeback this season. They seem to want to do something this year, so we are going to try it.