Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Here's my temporary greenhouse

Greenhousers and polytunnelers are sharing. 💕 The rest of us are following and dreaming! ☀️
bluebutterfly123

Here's my temporary greenhouse

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 am

So I finally finished my greenhouse.. It's in my basement.. Until the weather warms up a bit, then it will be dismantled.. I am by no means as crafty as some of you guys.. Lol.. Woodworking is definitely not my thing.. Image.. And if it weren't for those metal brackets I doubt this would have even stood up.. Lol

Here's the 2x3 I cut up.. It's roughly 6ft tall can't remember the rest of the sizes atm..
20170331_203403.jpg
20170331_192436.jpg
that's the frame being built
20170331_192215.jpg
20170331_192215.jpg
I used a few of those emergency blankets to wrap the frame with (I figured that it does look like those much more expensive reflector sheets.. Hopefully it does work the same..
20170331_184537.jpg
for less than $6.. I used 3 of these
20170331_184516.jpg
And it's pretty much done.. I lowered the light a bit hopefully that will help..
I did put in on the seedlings I had upstairs by the balcony windows.. But at this point some of the cucumbers limped over.. So I'm thinking to start again.. Any tips would be much appreciated thanks!

Ps.. I'm not a pro gardener either.. Lol.. I only had my first real garden last yr.. And I must say it was an amazing experience! I started from seeds but in May.. So all my plants were much smaller with they went out.. They produced later than my store bought plants.. But they were much more healthier and produced more.. That's why this year I decided to start earlier.. Hopefully they turn out just as good!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Attachments
20170331_115422.jpg
20170331_184516.jpg

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Here's my temporary greenhouse

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:18 am

bluebutterfly123 wrote:So I finally finished my greenhouse.. It's in my basement.. Until the weather warms up a bit, then it will be dismantled.. I am by no means as crafty as some of you guys.. Lol.. Woodworking is definitely not my thing.. Image.. And if it weren't for those metal brackets I doubt this would have even stood up.. Lol
Wow! That is well done! Smart to use reflector sheets. I'm sure that they will do the trick! What do you plan to grow? 
I'm also having some problems with tall and leggy plants. Most of them are fine, but some varieties tend to grow to fast and then they start to lay down (this has mainly been happening with cabbage, beetroot, swiss chard and lettuce). The basement station that I have is much better, but I've learned that the grow light needs to be very close to the seedlings in the beginning (like 10 cm/4 inches) and the plants are doing much better. I've found out that different routines works for different plants. Like:
Keeping seeds upstairs in a window sill until they have sprouted and move to basement after first transplant:
  • Tomatoes
  • Eggplant
  • Chilli 
  • Peppers
Starting seeds in the basement from start:
  • Cabbages
  • Lettuce
  • Swiss Chard
  • Beetroot
The last category I'm also Winter Wowing outdoors to compare what is best, basement or outdoors.

Also tell us more about what you tried and learned from last season. It's lovely to hear about your new found gardening passion. :)
bluebutterfly123

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Zucchini :
From last year I remember the zucchini was placed by my windows.. But it could have had more sun.. (it's still pretty cloudy here most days).. So those seedlings were short stemmed.. But only a few made it (I had only 3 plants in the garden)... The 3 plants produced wonderfully though, I had enough to share with neighbours and family
This yrs seedlings.. I think I'll have to restart.. They are too leggy.. And laying on the ground

Peppers
None of my seedling from last year grewI don't know why.. They just never even came up..I bought some chilli plants and bell peppers, as well as jalapeño.. The chillis did good the rest not so much..
I did use the same seeds this year.. And they're growing very good so far.. Their stems are growing at a good size I think.. Not leggy at all..

Tomatoes
Last yr I was scared my tomatoes were a waste of time.. When everyone was planting a good foot high tomato plants.. I had only an inch tall tomato plants.. so I bought a few.. But the ones I planted had grown much better than the store bought plants.. They were lush and green.. And tomatoes were huge!
This yrs.. They are starting to grow and they look ok.. So we'll see how it goes..

Cucumbers
There again were started late.. And indoors like the rest.. But they also produced amazingly! Many families enjoyed this crop... I even was asked how I grew them because my neighbour's died on her...
This year.. I'm thinking I'll start a second batch of seeds.. Maybe a month later.. Because last yr's kind of dried out come August (I think)

Eggplants: they were store bought plants... And they did well.. Can't really compare..
This yr I started seeds but none have sprouted yet, so we see

Peas
last yr the seeds did good.. The plants produced, but I think (not much background growing experience lol) they did produce much.. And they dried out faster than expected.. Kids ate them before they made it to anyone else.. Lol.. And I only did one round of them
This yr maybe I planted too soon? Lol they are already a foot high.. And I think I'll have to transplant them to a bigger container.. I plan on doing a few rounds of these guys this time around since the kids love them..

Corn
I planted the seeds last yr.. They grew wonderfully.. But I didn't really know when to pick the corn.. It was very gummy the few times I tried.. And then squirrels ate most of them.. I guess they knew when it was ready.. Lol

Watermelons
I planted seeds last yr.. And they grew.. I got about an inch big watermelons.. And then the workers ripped them out to pave a side walkway.. So they didn't make it..
Planting them again this yr.. Hopefully we get to eat them This yr.. Lol

Sorry for the long read.. But that what happened and what's being planned

bluebutterfly123

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm

20160709_204113-1.jpg
20160724_144043-1.jpg
20160829_175825-1.jpg
20160804_195701-1.jpg
these are the some pics I was able to find of the garden last year.. We were and still are in the process of fixing it up.. It was a yard full of weeds.. And some grass lol.. . When we bought the house 2 yrs back..

Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:07 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:...  these are the some pics I was able to find of the garden last year.. We were and still are in the process of fixing it up.. It was a yard full of weeds.. And some grass lol.. . When we bought the house 2 yrs back..

Wow! That looks like a huge tomato! And great summary of your garden learnings! 
Zucchini: I've also learned the hard way not to start to many zucchini plants. It's so easy to get way more than you need. I'm settling with 2 plants this season. That should be more than enough for us.
Peppers: they might need some heat to germinate.
Tomatoes: What variety is that HUGE tomato? 
Eggplants: Same as peppers, they might need slightly warmer temperatures to sprout. Place them somewhere warmer (like a window sill above a radiator, a heated floor, close to a warming lamp or something like that). Some people use heat mats, but I have not got one yet. 
Corn: Thats funny, keep us posted on if you manage to beat the squirrels this year! 
Watermelon: I got inspired, and started my watermelon seeds today. Yayy! :-)
bluebutterfly123

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 am

The tomatos are beefsteak.. My favourite because I only need one in my meals then.. Lol I do have a heat vent I used to germinate the leggy plants u see above.. Lol.. I think that combined with very little light caused the stems to grow like crazy..
I wasn't too concerned with the squirrels.. They were well behaved when it came to all my other crops.. So I didn't mind.. It was better than us wasting it because it was too gummy..