Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Last yrs garden

This is the board for general garden updates and any other sharings.
bluebutterfly123

Last yrs garden

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 am

Found some more pics... ImageImageImageImageImage

I had some sage and mint(which are regrowing this yr) cilantro (seeded a few days ago) for herbs..
The smaller tomatoes where from the store bought plants (wasn't to happy at all with them)
The tomato plants that I seeded grew so quickly and thick.. (tried trimming) but they grew like a weed.. Lol
The cucumbers were also growing so quickly that I had to build a quick vertical support for them.. This yr I will build a proper one in the next few weeks.. Depends on weather.. Also looking to build a movable one.. Since I think I'll start a rotating garden... (last yr I had so many yellow flying bugs eating my cucumber leaves) so I don't want to plant them again there.. I really miss my garden lol it was so green! Winter really give me the blues..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

FlatFarmer

Re: Last yrs garden

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:09 am

Very nice pictures and you seem to have a very nice garden! I remember seeing something on how to rotate a garden on this forum before. I also need to learn that as soon as I build my raised beds. I still have everything in containers and buckets so I did not have to learn about rotating yet. But maybe this year..
bluebutterfly123

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks! Yes Sana has a few topics on it.. I'm so lost on where to start with it myself though.. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Crop Rotation is really not that hard to learn, and I'm not too serious about it. But I'm following some general principles to avoid some specific diseases. This is the link to my previous Crop Rotation post: Crop Rotation.

Start by deciding if you can rotate on 4 years, 6 years or 8 years. I rotate on 4 years, and have devided my Kitchen Garden in 4 different areas/"blocks".

You grow different Vegetable Families in each block, and rotate them every season. Most important things to rotate are vegetables that can carry diseases, like Cabbages/Kale and Potatoes. I'm never growing Cabbages/Kale in the same spot for more than one year (and then it comes back around 4 years later). That's the thing about Crop Rotation that I'm most concerned with. I do however mix in Rocket everywhere, even though they are a part of the Cabbage Family.
FlatFarmer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Thank you!