Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Using plants for pest control

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
bluebutterfly123

Using plants for pest control

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:12 pm

I don't plan on using and chemicals to kill pests in my yard.. And luckily last year I didn't have anything infested with any bug minus pmy cucumbers and zucchini (it was a yellow flying insect) which ate the leaves of those plants.. I tried squishing (ewwh) all the ones I caught.. So it was not too bad..
Some plants I planted to help with pest control were:
Marigolds.. I kinda made a boarder around the box with these guys..

Sage.. If I remember correctly these guys keep mosquitos away.. I also dried cutting up to take on camping trips so we can burn them for the same reason..

Citronella plants on my balcony again for mosquitos

Anyone else have any pest control plants they use?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

FlatFarmer

Re: Using plants for pest control

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 am

I'm following this topic and want to learn more about this.
Espadas

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm

I heard lavender is also a good pest deterrent, so I potted those. Mosquitoes in my yard are killing me and I'm hoping it will be better once we get some of these trees down and whatnot.

I am also growing marigold and putting them in a broken wheelbarrow next to the porch and they just started sprouting.

I also heard coffee grains are good for this.

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
bluebutterfly123

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 am

Here's some more pest control tips.. I'm going to try some of these this yr.. I already planted the nasturtiums, plan on using some of those for my cherry trees.. (I think they have white flies)
Also growing a lot more herbs this yr.. So will figure out which will go where withe the companion plantsImage ImageImageImageImage

Espadas

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Lemongrass is also supposed to be good to prevent mosquitoes, flies, gnats, ticks and ants.

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Interesting topic! I have tried marigold and basil with chilli to repell aphids and plan to repeat that this year.

Since this will be my first year with a poly tunnel, I'm interested in learning more about this. I'm suspecting that I will have more issues with aphids and other bugs in the greenhouse than I have outdoors. Lemongrass sounds good. I have 3 plants coming and might plant them all in the new poly tunnel if it can help.
bluebutterfly123

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Anyone know of anything for potato bugs? They are everywhere in my backyard.. And they like to stow away with my plants and eat them

CindSein

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 am

I have basils, lavender, and rosemary at home. They offer a great relief during spring and summer season when common pest species are most active.

This is the type of fly that I commonly see in my garden. They are a great nuisance as they attack plants and mainly riped fruits. One of the major issues with the fruit flies is that they can spread bacteria that contain disease-causing agents. It is mainly to avoid the infestation, I have planted certain herbs in my garden. Insects tend to avoid these plants because essential oils in them work as a natural bug repellent. It is also advisable to get the help of experts from Power Pest Control at least once in 6 months in order to get your area cleared of all the pests and insects. When you hire a professional pest control company, they have the experience to deal with different types of pests.