Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Neem Oil? Does it really work?

Do you have a random question? 👉 Ask it here.
Want to make someone happy? Follow this section and help out when you can. 💕
NativeRootsAR

Neem Oil? Does it really work?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:22 am

So I've got some bugs not sure what kind but I'm trying neem oil cause I'm growing organically any comments or personal experience would greatly be appreciated

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Re: Neem Oil? Does it really work?

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am

I think you should first see if the bugs are harmful to the plants before you try getting rid of them.. Not all bugs are bad for plants, some actually help keep the bad ones away.. So figure out what they are first.. Then figure out what they don't like (for some it's as easy as spraying them with blue dawn dishwashing soap and water)...and I have heard about neem oil too but sorry, never tried either yet myself...

I tried to use flowers and herbs as my garden protectors.. And it worked last yr..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
NativeRootsAR

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Well they were eating holes in my plants so I don't think they were good and I'm trying to go organic so I didn't want to use dawn I tried it so I guess we will wait and see

NativeRootsAR

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Also there is some yellow and brown streaking on the leaves so I was afraid that may be fungal which I have heard neem oil is great for as well

bluebutterfly123

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 am

Do you know what the bug is? Or can u post a picture of it?

NativeRootsAR

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 am

I can't see the bugs but I can see the evidence of it I'll post pics tommorow

Shelly_palmer

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 am

bluebutterfly123 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
I think you should first see if the bugs are harmful to the plants before you try getting rid of them.. Not all bugs are bad for plants, some actually help keep the bad ones away.. So figure out what they are first.. Then figure out what they don't like (for some it's as easy as spraying them with blue dawn dishwashing soap and water)...and I have heard about neem oil too but sorry, never tried either yet myself...

I tried to use flowers and herbs as my garden protectors.. And it worked last yr..

Yeah, well said. Not all bugs are harmful. There are many bugs and insects which are really beneficial for a garden. You could refer this article ( http://inthebackyard.ca/insects-benefit-garden/ ) for more details.
I'm not sure whether your problem with the bugs is solved. You could try these methods:
- Use biological pest control.
- Citrus repellents work better without causing any harm.
- Horticultural oils and insecticidal soaps are good.
- Use nicotine sulfate and sabadilla to get rid of bugs.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder around the base of leaves.
Hope you find it useful.

Return to “Gardening questions”