Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Here's my tomatoes

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
bluebutterfly123

Here's my tomatoes

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:52 am

I've planted beefsteak tomatoes (they are still in the tray since I only planted them last week)..need to be transplanted today...

The Rutgers are starting their second leaves.. They have been transplanted from the single tray.. I'll take a pic of them later since they are in the greenhouse.. The one I have pictured below I started much earlier... Just that one..

Cherry tomatoes I planted a just a couple of days ago so they haven't sprouted yet.. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

bluebutterfly123

Re: Here's my tomatoes

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pm

The ones in the black container are beefsteak tomatoes.. I have about 45 plants in there.. And a few smaller ones in a separate container..

the ones in the polytunnel greenhouse are Rutger tomatoes.. I started those earlier so they are much bigger. I have about 19 of these guys.. Maybe more.. Can't remember

None of my cherry tomatoes have sprouted yet.. They were just planted so I don't blame them.. LolImageImage

bluebutterfly123

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Beefsteak tomatoes now.. They stayed in the basement and seem to be in a much better condition than the Rutgers that were grown earlier and put outside.. Image

bluebutterfly123

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Rutgers tomatoes.. I brought them back in to the basement.. It was colder during the night the last couple of days.. But I'm thinking of leaving them in the basement until ground planting timeImage

bluebutterfly123

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Staying indoors brought these guys (Rutgers) back to health.. They are looking much better nowImage

bluebutterfly123

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Beefsteak tomatoes, looking great so far... Each container has 3 plants in it.. They are all pretty much on their 3rd set of leaves now..

All tomatoes were topped up on soil today to help with more root growth.. Hopefully they'll get more of a boost.. Image

Sanna
Site Admin

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:
Beefsteak tomatoes, looking great so far... Each container has 3 plants in it.. They are all pretty much on their 3rd set of leaves now..

Nice pictures! They look great!
bluebutterfly123

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Sanna wrote:
bluebutterfly123 wrote:

Nice pictures! They look great!
Thanks Sanna .. I'm still waiting for the vine tomatoes.. I just started those seeds from a slice.. So we'll see how it goes..beefsteak, Rutgers and vine will be mostly in my garden.. Just want a few of the cherries for my kids.. The rest will be given away to family and friends

bluebutterfly123

Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Beefsteak tomatoes are huge! Almost doubled in size since the last time I pulled them out the "grow tent" in my basement.. Time to transplant again... Now I need to put them in separate containers... Instead of the 3 each they are in.. I'm noticing a little bit of a lighter green on them.. I did give them an espom spraying yesterday.. So we'll see if it perks them back up.. If not I will fertilize.. Image

bluebutterfly123

Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Here's the cherry tomatoes.. Again they are much bigger.. Unfortunately I'm running out of space in my grow tent.. And containers to put them in.. Lol.. I am hoping next week the weather will start picking up.. I need to start planting out side now.. Lol
These tomato plants have a more noticeable yellowing if the leaves.. On some plants and on a few leaves.. Again they were given espom salt staying yesterday.. We'll see how it goes... ImageImage

bluebutterfly123

Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Of all my tomato seedlings.. Only a handful survived, and even they are struggling to recover .. I put them all out on a sunny day.. But there was a cold wind.. they all seemed to have gotten frost bite.. Even though it was +10 degree celcius..

I lost all of my cherry tomatoes, maybe I can save one..
I have about 5 beefsteak tomatoes.. From the 45+ I started with!
And maybe 3 Rutgers..

It was a disaster! I felt so bad.. And seeing these pictures of them so healthy.. Im kicking myself even more!

I did start another batch of beefsteak (since that's the main ones I want anyways)..and I've planted the seedlings into the ground as soon as the sprouted.. I have now another 8-10 plants.. But obviously started much later.. (but at the same time as last yr.. Lol)..
Cucumbers also suffered the wind.. And all died.. I planted new seeds.. And only a few grew (not my luck with these this year).. I'll purchase a few plants later on this week...
Eggplant is another that I have only a few plants of.. I will have to purchase a few more..
My peppers where the best survivors, surprisingly.. They just lost a few leaves. And are recovering well..

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Are they totally frozen or can you try to cut them down or take cuttings?

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
bluebutterfly123

Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 pm

I tried to cut the dead parts off.. And brought them back indoors to the grow tent.. But unfortunately I wasn't able to save much..
And then temps hit +20 for a good week (no more frost warnings either).. So I planted the survivors out into the boxes.. Again some died off.. And as of now I have just a few of everything.. And a good amount of peppers..
I now have a total understanding of what the farmers are feeling atm... So many farms have lost their harvests because of the changing temps.. Its different than when you buy a plant and it dies... Growing it from seed and seeing it die before your eyes, makes you almost cry! Months of time and care, wasted in a day... Just one day!
Uggh!

Mini rant over.. Time to pick up my gardening spade and carry on.. Lol