Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Hello! New aspiring gardener with some newbie questions.

Not sure where to start your topic? 👉 Start it here!
ThomasMorrison

Hello! New aspiring gardener with some newbie questions.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello. All I'm Tom, 22 from England. I'm not quite sure what's happened this month but I've had a sudden urge to grow my own food, I've bought a lot of equipment and seeds etc to get me going and I'm
Loving it I've found a brilliant new hobby.

Now I am NEW I have no clue what I am doing other than the odd YouTube tutorial. So it's trial and error at the minute. Most of my plants I have grown from seed and below is what I'm growing.

Beetroot
Chives
Carrot
Blueberries (shop bought plant)
Chillies
Tomatoes
Sweetcorn
Peppers
Lettuce (shop bought seedling)
Strawberries. (Shop bought seedling).

Now I have done a lot wrong, amateur mistakes like planting way to many seeds too close to another in one pot. What I have been doing is starting seeds off in a heated propagator as it's still cold here at the moment. A lot doesn't seem to happened on ImageImageImageImagemany of the seeds and I can only assume I have done something wrong like over water them however the beetroot has started to sprout this morning.

Now my lettuce has come out very well and has grown very quickly I've been watering moderately and keeping in my cheap outdoor greenhouse thing with plenty of sunlight. The problem is it now looks like it's struggling and I'm again not sure what I've done wrong. Can anyone advise on this?

Secondly my strawberries which I really want to harvest this year have been going very well sprouting more and more. I've checked this morning and a couple of the leaves have what looks like small yellow blisters on them. I've taken them out of the green house and situated gem outside to get some air.

Please note everything is kept in the pop up greenhouse during the day I will not be planting in soil and want everything to grow in pots. I am enjoying this fantastic new hobby and I don't want these plants to die before I've had a successful first harvest!

Appreciate any help,
All the best.

Tom

Posted with Growerflow mobile appImage
Last edited by ThomasMorrison on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Hello! New aspiring gardener with some newbie questions.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm

ThomasMorrison wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 pm
Hello. All I'm Tom, 22 from England. I'm not quite sure what's happened this month but I've had a sudden urge to grow my own food, I've bought a lot of equipment and seeds etc to get me going and I'm Loving it I've found a brilliant new hobby.

Hi Tom,

Very welcome to Growerflow! That sudden urge to grow food is what's bringing us together at this little forum. :smiley: :seedling:

You have a lot of nice things going there! And a great mix! Where do you grow them - balcony, plot, garden..?

Some seeds take longer to sprout, but if I don't see anything in about 3 weeks I usually start over. Some seeds like chilli and tomatoes might need heat to start sprouting, and some like lettuce needs a bit of a freeze and then cooler temperatures to start.

The lettuce looks great! It looks like it's laying down a bit. I'm guessing that it has enough water, and then it can be too strong sun for the small leaves. You might want to cover with a fiber cloth or give it a little bit of shade on the days when the sun is very strong. It does not look alarming to me though and I think it will recover. I transplanted my lettuce outdoors (from my basement) last weekend and they have been struggling a bit (temperature went down to -5 degrees celsius this weekend) but today they're catching up.

Keep sharing and we will cheer you on! :smiley:
nige

Re: Hello! New aspiring gardener with some newbie questions.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi tom
I am also an Englishman but living across the pond..

Looking at your list you seem to have a lot of different seeds, so

Tomatoes, start individual seeds in individual pots you we note the seeds start with just two little leaves

Lettuce, may be in shock put some light shade, out of the heat

Beetroot, did you know you can eat the leaves? Pick from the outside, they also take a little while to grow,

When planting lettuce seeds and over crowding
If you can find a long plastic container used for bake goods or even aluminum trays, fill with earth and sprinkle your seeds and lightly dust with your fingers.. When they start sprouting and gain a little size use a tea spoon, dig a hole wher you are going to plant it, wet the hole with water so the seed will have a drink when it lands in the hole, dig the whole plant out with as much soil around and under it, do not worry if you have more than one, place the whole clump into the wet hole and gently firm the soil around the transferred plant.

Keep tomatoes and peppers together, they are good companions

Carrots, sprinkle sparingly, cover ever so shallow then place a board, carpet or brown wet paper and leave for a week, when you start to see seedlings popping up remove the cover..

Removing slugs... Place a small shallow saucer into the bed, level with dirt, fill with the nastiest, smelliest beer you can find.. Slugs will drown in the beer very happily, scoop out and leave the beer in there.. Nothing said dead more than a drunken slug..

Good luck
Nige..

Posted with Growerflow mobile app