Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

My kitchen garden 2017

We love to garden in Raised Beds. If you do too 👉 This is the section for you! 👌
bluebutterfly123

Re: My kitchen garden 2017

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm missing bed #4s pic.. Forgot to take it.. Will do later.. But this week everything is finally looking like it's growing!
I've actually seen some sweet pea pods! This is very early for me... So I'm very happy seeing vegetables and flowers so early in the yr.. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 am

Well it's 'bout time! Your garden is doing what it is intended to do! How are you Doing on this fine Sunday? You are not going to believe what waiting for us at our front door this afternoon! A PUPPY!!!! Someone left a puppy in a box on my stoop with "please love me" written on the box!!!!! I kidd you not! And believe you/me, I will!

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Last edited by HealthyGardenMamaOf4 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Re: Troubleshooting Aloe Vera

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 am

HealthyGardenMamaOf4 wrote:Right now my daughter is TRYING to teach me how to ski on her Wii U! NOT a pretty sight!!!! I have had a terrific day and I to wish is was Fri! Payday!!

bluebutterfly123 wrote:I'm missing bed #4s pic.. Forgot to take it.. Will do later.. But this week everything is finally looking like it's growing!
I've actually seen some sweet pea pods! This is very early for me... So I'm very happy seeing vegetables and flowers so early in the yr.. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

HealthyGardenMamaOf4 wrote:Well it's 'bout time! Your garden is doing what it is intended to do! How are you Doing on this fine Sunday? You are not going to believe what waiting for us at our front door this afternoon! A PUPPY!!!! Someone left a puppy in a box on my stoop with "please love me" written on the box!!!!! I kidd you not! And believe you/me, I will!

bluebutterfly123

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:19 am

Awwwh! that's so sweet of you! What's he look like? I'm sure he'll make an amazing addition to your family
I'm doing good today.. Thanks for asking.. How are you doing?

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 am

Hello friend, He looks like a black and white Australian shepherd. He is beautiful!! We named him Jackson. I will get some photos of him and post them on Garden Tags. I have to go to Walmart Tonight and Get More puppy food, A Collar, Bowls and a leash. He looks to be about 6 weeks or so. I just love, love,love him!!!!

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 am

HealthyGardenMamaOf4 wrote:Hello friend, He looks like a black and white Australian shepherd. He is beautiful!! We named him Jackson. I will get some photos of him and post them on Garden Tags. I have to go to Walmart Tonight and Get More puppy food, A Collar, Bowls and a leash. He looks to be about 6 weeks or so. I just love, love,love him!!!!

Awwh what a sweet name! Will love to see pics of him.. How's he adjusting?

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello friend, Jackson is doing fantastic! He is s such a blessing. Did you see that my youngest daughter is on Garden Tags now? She has looked and commented on your flowers and has followed you! Her username is myjackson12. Go ahead and follow her and she will be tickled pink! So what do you have planed on this beautiful day? Talk soon!

Sanna
Site Admin

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 pm

How is the garden doing? Which Raised Beds are successful so far?
bluebutterfly123

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Sanna wrote:How is the garden doing? Which Raised Beds are successful so far?
It's going great so far.. I'm collecting way more lettuce than I need.. So I'm giving it away just about every day to a few ppl a day.. Lol
Everything else is picking up the pace now.. So will post new pics below

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Where are the pic's!

bluebutterfly123

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 pm

So sorry.. I took a nap will post

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:36 am

Bed #1
the most random of the Beds.. Lol.. Anything extra usually gets planted here... I have cilantro I'm harvesting just about every day.. Sage and mint too..
There's a few pepper plants, I think some eggplant and a tomato plant.. The is still growing.. And I don't see greencauliflower onion plants as of yet..

Bed#2:
A little bit more organized.. Lol.. The corn is doing good.. All the plants here are doing great.. There's sweet corn, string beans, and chilli peppers.. I planted the leaf lettuce between the plants to keep the soil covered (keeping moisture in).. And as the plants grow and need more space I remove the lettuce plants as needed.. There is 1 zucchini plant in here.. I planted it thinking it had very little chance of surviving.. But it has proven me wrong.. Lol

Bed#3:
The beefsteak tomatoes (planted in mid may) are catching up in size to the ones I planted in April indoors.. I've harvested spinach twice already.. 3rd time is waiting picking.. Okra is growing in this bed better than bed number 5.. Also the cantaloupe are looking good as well..

Bed #4:
Ive had a few trimmings of the tomato sucker plants.. My oldest plant (November start) is flowering.. As is the black tomato.. I bought.. I took the suckers and put them in water.. So I'll have a few more tomato plants .. Cherry tomatoes were store bought seedlings.. Not as great compared to my seedlings.. But they'll pick up.. Red onions seem to be doing well, as are the carrots.. But my first yr planting them.. So if anyone knows a trick in telling when they are ready.. Please let me know

Bed #5:
The zucchini are getting huge! I have baby zucchini on 2 of the plants so far., about 2" long.. Saw them today! again the cherry tomatoes planted here are a so not as healthy looking as my own seedlings.. But they are ok.. The okra isn't as good as the other box (#3)..but it's starting to finally grow..

Bed #6:
This has got to be one of my greenest beds.. Lol.. You literally can't see the ground in this bed.. The sunflowers, cucumbers, and sweet corn are growing wonderfully.. Almost 3' tall now.. The sweet peas are also growing good.. There's flowers on the some of the cucumbers now.. So soon!

Bed#7:
My romaine lettuce is just about ready for picking.. I love ceasar salad! .. The eggplants are starting to grow taller.. As are the chilli peppers in here..

Bed #8:
What I thought was broccoli.. Ended up being mustered plants.. Definitely surprised! But I used it's leaves and spinach, to make a wonderful chicken and spinach dish for dinner yesterday yum! I've got a few of the Mexican 6" chilli peppers growing now.. And the bell peppers still need some growing to do.. Red onions are doing well here too..

Below are the pics.. Going from left to right first left being bed #1.. After the 8 pics, are random plants in the beds..
End pics are the fruits we have growing..

the fig tree I planted in the backyard it will have to be covered during the winter here.. But for now it can enjoy the summer here..
Cherries are just about ripe.. These are the only things we didn't plant in this house.. Lol
Mulberry tree we also planted this week, and blueberries.. that I will keep in a pot..because they died in the ground last year..

How's that for an update? Lol.. Did y'all fall asleep? if not, thanks for bearing it all and reaching the end.. Hope you like my garden as much as I love it! Take care and may you grow plenty!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 am

Lol.. Bed #1.. Doesn't have green cauliflower onions growing .. What ever the heck that is.. .. That was my nap brain talking.. Lol.. I meant to say :
The green onions are nowhere to be found as of yet.. And the cauliflower plant is growing.. Just no cauliflower as of yet..

HealthyGardenMamaOf4

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Got'cha!

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Very inspiring update! Thank you! I read all the details and study the photos. Very nice to follow your garden as it grows. And I still absolutely love the red grow beds! 💕

It’s a great ide to have an extra/unplanned bed. I don’t really have that, but I’m kind of replanning a bit since I obviously need one also..

You’re way of using lettuce like that inspire me. I will probably think about something similar next season. I’m thinking about not using full Raised Beds for lettuce next season and rather plant a long row of lettuce through all the cabbage bed. Then I could pick them one by one and will hopefully be done when the cabbages needs the space.

Red onions should are ready when the sprouts turn yellow/brown and start laying down a bit. But you can pick some small onions already. They are delicious to eat fresh (but are not ready for winter storage until they are fully grown..)
bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Sanna wrote:Very inspiring update! Thank you! I read all the details and study the photos. Very nice to follow your garden as it grows. And I still absolutely love the red grow beds!

It’s a great ide to have an extra/unplanned bed. I don’t really have that, but I’m kind of replanning a bit since I obviously need one also..

You’re way of using lettuce like that inspire me. I will probably think about something similar next season. I’m thinking about not using full Raised Beds for lettuce next season and rather plant a long row of lettuce through all the cabbage bed. Then I could pick them one by one and will hopefully be done when the cabbages needs the space.

Red onions should are ready when the sprouts turn yellow/brown and start laying down a bit. But you can pick some small onions already. They are delicious to eat fresh (but are not ready for winter storage until they are fully grown..)
Thank you very much Sanna!

bluebutterfly123

Re: What have you harvested in 2017?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Update :
So today was a busy day in the garden.. I was clearing out the cilantro from bed #1.. I've decided to use this bed for my watermelons instead now(they weren't getting enough sunlight, thanks to the quicker growing cucumbers and sunflowers).. I will throw some cilantro seeds in all the beds to start a new batch of them... I moved the peppers from here to bed #8.. And removed the mustard plants that were growing there (ate some and gave a neighbour the rest) ..
I noticed my sunflowers are already starting to flower!?! Weren't these guys supposed to be super tall before they flower? They are about 3-4 ft tall... Hopefully my cucumbers don't over run them
I discovered theres string beans growing!!! Again I was expecting to get tall vine type plants from these too.. That's why I put them by the corn.. To climb.. But instead they are already flowering and almost ready to harvest

My spinach is on its 3rd harvest! I just cut it.. And I swear they are getting better and better.. There isn't as much damage by the worms that were eating the leaves from inside, anymore.. Just one or 2 leaves .. My neighbour's spinach was completely damaged by the same bug.. Not even 1 harvest..
Okra is finally growing!! This plant was driving me insane trying to figure why it wasn't growing.. Then it just bursts like 10 leaves at once.. Lol..
Zucchini is fruiting and flowering like crazy now.. I already have 4 zucchinis growing! And oh so many flowers!
The Mexican 6" chillis have a few very long chilli on them, that's the pic with my hand in it...

I am sooooo in love with fresh romaine lettuce!! It is so delicious! And very pleasing to the eye... Much better than the shops for sure! Never thought I'd notice such a difference ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Wow! Amazing chillies! And the corn really looks great. So nice to see your garden delivering so much already! Do you add a lot of nutrients?
bluebutterfly123

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Sanna wrote:Wow! Amazing chillies! And the corn really looks great. So nice to see your garden delivering so much already! Do you add a lot of nutrients?
I do use the water soluble fertilizer.. As well as throw in used tea bags and crushed eggshells (when I save enough) other than that not really... It could be more of a weather thing too.. Because everything seems to have doubled in size once the weather started staying over +20°c..

bluebutterfly123

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Look what I see!! Image

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 pm

😍 Small cucumbers coming! 🌱
bluebutterfly123

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Tomatoes have started on 2 of my plants.. The one I bought (purple tomatoes), and the one I started in November indoors... So maybe next yr I will start them earlier indoors... Still going to wait and see till the season is done to figure out if there is any benefits of starting earlier than April (when I started my tomatoes)... Size wise my tomatoes started in April aren't too far off... Even though they suffered in the transition during spring (my mistake for planting too soon)
One of my beefsteaks has a huge double bloom!reminds me of a sunflower I wonder if the tomatoes will differ in size? ImageImageImageImage

Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:26 pm

They look great! I have an idea that I will try for next season, and that is to start some low cherry tomato varieties indoors in october/november and transplant them to the greenhouse in may to get early tomatoes in june. I think I will go for a variety called "Vilma". I will wait with later varieties until march, since they grow way to big indoors before I can get them out..
bluebutterfly123

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Sanna I think I'll do a few plants each in November.. That way they will be ready and producing by early June.. But plant a majority of the plants later on in April... That way I should be able to have crops much earlier and throughout the whole season.. This yr is a testing phase to see how the November plant does..

bluebutterfly123

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Update:
As you can see, a lot of the fruits and vegetables are almost at their harvest time.. Some things like, sweet peas, strawberries, and the Mexican 6"chilli peppers are being harvested now.. And they are pretty good! Nothing beats fresh, no pesticide food!
Spinach is still growing (no sign of going to seed yet).. We harvested it 4 times already.. It's ready for a 5th harvest..
Bell peppers are doing very well this year compared to last year.. The shape is beautiful, with no signs of deformation.. Size is pretty good too, one of my favourite crops so far this yr.. Lol ..
Okra is getting the pods on it now.. Some plants are being eaten by something(most likely potato bugs) .. I think I'll relocate them.. They seem smaller too...
Cantaloupe were tied to a climbing fence a few days back.. There's a few flowers on them...
The companion planting of the sunflowers, cucumbers and sweet corn is doing wonderfully.. This has got to be the container with the least amount of weeds needing removal..
The zucchini was having pollination issues.. So I had to resort to pollinating them myself... Oh the fun! Lol we'll see if I'm as good as the bees
Tomatoes are growing on the plants I started in April, as well now... Cherry tomatoes are also growing nicely
Red onions seem to be doing good so far as well.. Don't know about under ground..
I'm starting to remove the lettuce now.. I think I'll start some more seeds of it.. But not as much as the spring time.. Lol..
Watermelon still seems like it's stuck in time.. I've relocated them to bed number 1..so they have more space... Hopefully that'll help..
Eggplants are flowering more and more.. Yet to see some veg on them..
Cauliflower it's still growing.. No cauliflower as of yet...
Ive planted more pea seedlings today... Kids love them!
My fig tree is getting a lot of yellow leaves.. Maybe due to transplanting it into the ground?

I was thinking starting some more radishes as well.. Or is it too hot now? I try and see..

So that's all I can think of for now.. Thanks for reading..
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage