Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Aphid Investation

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
Espadas

Aphid Investation

Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Anyone have any luck getting rid of aphids? I figured I'd try neem oil, so I got a gallon spray jug and filled it with water and added four capfuls of neem oil and just put my first application. How often should I do this, and has anyone else been successful?

They've infested my cabbages and I'm not sure if I should pull some or cut others back, or even where to cut. It's my first year gardening, and thus my first experience with this issue.

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Re: Aphid Investation

Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 pm

So far the only bugs that are bothering my garden are potato bugs, and ants... But I've read dawn dish soap with water will help too.. Maybe add some of that in the mixture?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

bluebutterfly123

Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Try planting plants that keeps pest bugs away... I think marigolds do..

Espadas

Sat May 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I just checked out Calikim on YouTube and apparently ants help bring in aphids. She mixed up sugar and borax to get rid of the ants. Can't remember the ratio, like 3 to 1, or 6 to 1, or something like that.

Espadas

Sat May 13, 2017 8:40 pm

I have some marigolds, but not in the same bed. Perhaps I should thin out my cabbages and get some established marigolds to add...

bluebutterfly123

Sat May 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Yeah marigolds will keep a lot of bugs away from cabbages.. Come to think of it last yr I used them as a boarder around all my boxes.. and only had issues with my cucumber leaves being eaten by a yellow bug.. But otherwise my yard is full of snails, slugs, potato bugs, beetles and ants.. Never had issues with them in the garden beds though...so I'm guessing it's the marigolds
As for ants.. When we bought this property there were so many ant hills.. I will definitely try the borax and sugar trick this yr.. Learned late about it last yr, so didn't try it then... If you do yours first please let me know hoe effective it is.

Edit: there's a post I made about herbs that help keep bugs away.. It says cilantro keeps aphids away.. Maybe give that a try too? you can at least eat it, if nothing else.. Lol
Last edited by bluebutterfly123 on Sat May 13, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebutterfly123

Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I have this recipe for the ants.. Will try it once the garden is complete... Image

Espadas

Sat May 13, 2017 10:54 pm

You all are so helpful!! I think I'm going to thin these out and pull the inner two. With the others, would it be ok to trim off some of the inner leaves? That's where most of the aphids are. Image

Return to “Other Tips, Tools & Techniques”