Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

What have you harvested in 2017?

This is the board for general garden updates and any other sharings.
bluebutterfly123

What have you harvested in 2017?

Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Since this is a global forum, Im interested it what everyone has harvested so far this yr..
And maybe also include location, so we the cold climate ppl don't run and hide in shame.. LolImage Image Image..

For me I've only got a few radishes I picked the other day.. Mint and sage.. Lettuce will be ready in a few weeks, as will cilantro..

How about you guys? What did you pick so far? Image

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, I'm from Ontario, Canada Image
Last edited by bluebutterfly123 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: What have you harvested in 2017?

Mon May 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Love this topic! I'm also in one of the colder climate zones.. Europe, Sweden.

It's now mid/end of may and I have harvested:

- Sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes (left from last year)
- Spinach (loads of it)
- Radish
- Rocket
- Lettuce
- Pea Shoots
- Pak Choi
- Garlic (taking a few early ones already even though they are not fully developed yet)
bluebutterfly123

Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 am

That's great Sanna! You've got a good start on your harvesting..
I told my relatives that I have fresh radishes available now.. And they were shocked that I was already picking things to eat from the garden, when most people only started planting this weekend.. Lol..
Today's radish harvest Image Image

Sanna
Site Admin

Tue May 23, 2017 6:18 am

Pretty picture! Image The early stuff are the best! Image

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Alaura02

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:01 am

This has been a really good year for harvesting since the weather stablized finally. I am located in southern California, USA so the last few years I had no choice but to neglect my garden but this is a very exciting year! I have been able to harvest 5/6 massive sweet basil plants​, 5 medley spinach, a variety of carrots, 4 sweet corn, tons of green and walla onions, and a variety of lettuce! I am sure I missed some stuff in there but definitely a great year so far... Not to mention I am about to start my mini watermelons!

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Alaura02 wrote:This has been a really good year for harvesting since the weather stablized finally. I am located in southern California, USA so the last few years I had no choice but to neglect my garden but this is a very exciting year! I have been able to harvest 5/6 massive sweet basil plants​, 5 medley spinach, a variety of carrots, 4 sweet corn, tons of green and walla onions, and a variety of lettuce! I am sure I missed some stuff in there but definitely a great year so far... Not to mention I am about to start my mini watermelons!

Nice!! Although I can't agree with you on the weather.. Unfortunately we are getting a whole week of good weather... And then it suddenly drops.. And it's still doing that in June! But thankfully the garden is finally picking up now..

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 pm

It's now mid/end of june and I have harvested:

- Beetroot
- Sugar Snap Peas
- More Spinach
- More Radish
- Swiss Chard, loads of it
- Lettuce (way to much)

Had counted on potatoes, but they are a bit late this year. Will go for early cabbages next year. Can't wait for them this long!
bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Sanna wrote:It's now mid/end of june and I have harvested:

- Beetroot
- Sugar Snap Peas
- More Spinach
- More Radish
- Lettuce (way to much)

Had counted on potatoes, but they are a bit late this year. Will go for early cabbages next year. Can't wait for them this long!
Lol.. I think we have lettuce coming out of every nook and cranny.. Image Image

note to self.. Next yr plant half a packet of each type of lettuce.... And other half leave for late summer planting..

There's a lot of plants I planted for the first time... Like potatoes.. You say yours are ready for harvest? When did you plant them? How do I know if mine are ready.. They are starting to get flowers, if that's any help..
And carrots.. How do I know when to pick them out? As of now the leaves are a little less than a foot tall..

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:28 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:

- Beetroot
- Sugar Snap Peas
- More Spinach
- More Radish
- Lettuce (way to much)

note to self.. Next yr plant half a packet of each type of lettuce.... And other half leave for late summer planting..

There's a lot of plants I planted for the first time... Like potatoes.. You say yours are ready for harvest? When did you plant them? How do I know if mine are ready.. They are starting to get flowers, if that's any help..
And carrots.. How do I know when to pick them out? As of now the leaves are a little less than a foot tall..

Potatoes are ready after flowering, when they start to wilt. If they get blight, immediately cut all greens of and harvest the potatoes. This usually comes after flowering though. I have both early and late varieties. I started chitting them indoors in february and usually move the early varieties outdoors in the end of april. This season however was so cold and I waited until end of may I think to transplant them. Remember to keep adding soil to the potaotes to avoid them getting green.

Carrots. I wait to harvest until you can see the top of the carrot above ground (a bit like radish). If you're not sure, pick one and see if the size is good enough.
bluebutterfly123

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Sanna wrote:
bluebutterfly123 wrote:

- Beetroot
- Sugar Snap Peas
- More Spinach
- More Radish
- Lettuce (way to much)

Potatoes are ready after flowering, when they start to wilt. If they get blight, immediately cut all greens of and harvest the potatoes. This usually comes after flowering though. I have both early and late varieties. I started chitting them indoors in february and usually move the early varieties outdoors in the end of april. This season however was so cold and I waited until end of may I think to transplant them. Remember to keep adding soil to the potaotes to avoid them getting green.

Carrots. I wait to harvest until you can see the top of the carrot above ground (a bit like radish). If you're not sure, pick one and see if the size is good enough.
Thanks a bunch Image Image.. I didn't know about adding soil to the potatoes.. They are in a container.. Originally I was using them just for green decoration in my flowering crates.. But they quickly took over.. So do I still add soil somehow.. Even though it is pretty much near the top? Below is a pic of potato plants and what they're in.. if it helps much Image

Sanna
Site Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm
Sanna wrote:
bluebutterfly123 wrote:

Thanks a bunch Image Image.. I didn't know about adding soil to the potatoes.. They are in a container.. Originally I was using them just for green decoration in my flowering crates.. But they quickly took over.. So do I still add soil somehow.. Even though it is pretty much near the top? Below is a pic of potato plants and what they're in.. if it helps much Image

Just add or shovel soil towards the center of the plant to make a small pile in the center. It's to avoid the sun to get to the potatoes. If they are not covered, the sun will make the potatoes green and they get slightly toxic (you should not eat green potatoes if there are any when you harvest)... I do this and also add grass clippings. It provides an extra cover and also adds nutrients.
Ava R.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am

My potatoes I harvested I thought were dead. So I dug up the "dead" plants that had never flowered. surprisingly there were potatoes underneath. No tomatoes Image

Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 am

Ava R. wrote:
My potatoes I harvested I thought were dead. So I dug up the "dead" plants that had never flowered. surprisingly there were potatoes underneath. No tomatoes Image

What a nice surprise! 🤗
Ava R.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Yup

bluebutterfly123

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Sanna wrote:
Ava R. wrote:

What a nice surprise! 🤗
No tomatoes? Did you graft them together? I was thinking of trying that with some of my potatoe plants... But am afraid of the risk of killing both... No experience on it Image

Ava R.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:08 am

Didn't try it

Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:26 pm

My second batch of vegetables are now perfect for harvest.

Potatoes
Swiss Chard
Herbs
Kale
White Cabbage
Savoy Cabbage
Pointed Cabbage
Sugar Snap Peas
Garlic
Onions
Cucumber
Chilli