Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Pruning Tomato Plants

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
Sanna
Site Admin

Pruning Tomato Plants

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:49 pm

How do you prune your Tomato plants?

I've heard so many different ways, and tried some different ways but never made a proper comparison...

Some ways that I've been trying:

- Just remove thieves

- Keep thieves, remove all leaves below the tomatoes

- Cut the top early in the season to make it produce two tops

- Do nothing (bushy tomato variety)

In general I cut the tops of the plants in mid August to allow them to focus on the tomatoes.

This is my Tomato chaos before pruning this year:

And after pruning:

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Re: Pruning Tomato Plants

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Wow that's a jungle!!.. Mine are definitely not as tall..last yr I was too distracted to prune my tomatoes.. And they grew like a thick jungle.. This year I'm trying to keep up with removing thieves, so I have one main branch... And some have spit into two at the top.. I used the thieves to make some new plants handed some out to family.. And planted a few back in my garden.. As of yet I've only removed leaves that were turning yellow at the bottom... Maybe I should remove some from all of them?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

bluebutterfly123

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Here's what mine look like as of right now... A jungle as well.. Lol.. But not as tall.. Maybe it's the varieties? The one plant I started in November has already started to produce tomatoes... The ones I started in April are starting to flower.. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

nige

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 am

Nice set up,
Prune or not to prune that is the question, I have tried none at all and minor cuts and snips..
The pruning does improve air circulation and, if self pollinating, producing fruit.... Removing lower growth is better also, you can get the water where you need it...
Attachments
image.jpg
Alaura02

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Love the set up by the way! I usually prune my beef tomatoes but this year the heat is getting to them so it is a very very slow grow but hey at least I can start sowing seeds now and be able to re-enter ;)

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

sschmedes

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Leaves r needed to protect the tomatoes. No need to prune, only remove bottom leaves when first planted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk