Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Growing Blueberries

Yup, this is a section for Fruit & Berries! 🍒
Ava R.

Growing Blueberries

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 am

I have had the wonderful experience of growing blueberries for the first time. I will say they are challenging, but in the end prolific. Many of my blueberries died because of my inexperience in growing them. Here are some pictures of my plants. Image
(I harvested about ten berries)But one was the prettiest.Image
Can anyone give me any help? Has anyone grown these before?

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Re: Growing Blueberries

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm

I don't think I'm experienced enough to help much.. Lol.. But my experience is don't mess with its soil.. Lol.. I bought 2 plants last yr and dug holes in my garden and plopped them in.. Big mistake! They slowly died.. And gave me no fruit..
This yr I was determined to try again.. So I bought another one.. And it stayed in the pot.. It's doing wonderfully! I did put it in a bigger pot.. And put some compost and garden Soil in it.. But will add some coffee grounds to it to help keep Ph acidic.. We have a good amount of blueberries on it.. None are blue yet though..but they're there and not dead.. So I think it's happy so far.. LolImage

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Ava R.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:35 pm

So just normal soil but add some natural acidic properties.?

Sent from my iPhone using Growerflow
Alaura02

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Ava R. wrote:So just normal soil but add some natural acidic properties.?

Yep! I have only "successfully" grown one plant and I have to say just adding coffee grounds and compost does the trick

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:49 pm

I did see Lowe's with a fertilizer made especially for blueberries and hydrangeas,and other acidic Ph loving plants.. But they definitely don't like alkaline soil... So I would say if it looks like it's not doing so well.. Check it's Ph and adjust accordingly...

Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 pm

I use the same soil as for Rhododendron. They sell them as a specific product here, and that has exactly the right PH needed for Blueberries. They absolutely thrive in it. Maybe you have something similar? Also heard that you need two plants to get them pollinated properly and actually get Blueberries. Not sure if that's true, but I have two plants and get plenty of berries.
Ava R.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 am

I also have two plants

bluebutterfly123

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:29 pm

bluebutterfly123 wrote:

I did see Lowe's with a fertilizer made especially for blueberries and hydrangeas,and other acidic Ph loving plants.. But they definitely don't like alkaline soil... So I would say if it looks like it's not doing so well.. Check it's Ph and adjust accordingly...

I've also heard of the 2 plants needed.. But this yr I seen one that is self pollinating.. So u don't need 2..thats the one I got.. But only because I wanted just the one plant first.. Because I thought I might kill it again.. Lol.. As it's doing pretty good so far.. I'll pick up another one next yr.. Or later this yr