Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Do you have a random question? 👉 Ask it here.
Want to make someone happy? Follow this section and help out when you can. 💕
Tomwhite87

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi! After wanting an allotment for many years now I finally got one! :-) it needs a lot of work which I'm excited to do. After much research it appears it's too late for me to grow anything? I plan to have raised beds. Shall I just concentrate on getting my plot ready for next year or is there something I can start soon? Also to fill my raised bed would a 50/50 mix of compost and top soil be ok?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Newbie

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Tomwhite87 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm
Hi! After wanting an allotment for many years now I finally got one! :-) it needs a lot of work which I'm excited to do. After much research it appears it's too late for me to grow anything? I plan to have raised beds. Shall I just concentrate on getting my plot ready for next year or is there something I can start soon? Also to fill my raised bed would a 50/50 mix of compost and top soil be ok?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Posted with Growerflow mobile app
Hi Tom,

There's many things you can start now or even after summer. I'm in Scandinavia, and I saw that you're in South England so everything I start should be OK for you also. Here are some examples of what I start in beginning of august (for my third vegetable batch in my raised beds):
* Kale
* Pak Choi/Bok Choi
* Swiss Chard
* Spinach
* Lettuce

All of these can take some frost, and are good to have in a fall garden.

I think that you can also try a few cucumber plants (cut the top of after 4-5 flowers, and the plants will focus on producing 4-5 cucumbers each.. a trick if you start them late..). I would also try a few potatoes just for fun (and to learn how late you can start them where you are).

Also, garlic and sun chokes are best started in October if you want to have them by next autumn - so remember to get them going this year already.

Gardening is all about trying and exchanging experiences. Mostly we find that the seed envelopes says when it's the best time to start and grow seeds, not that it can't be done in other times of year. Winter sowing is a good example of that. Works perfectly for me, but the seed envelopes never says that..
Tomwhite87

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 am

Thank you so much for your time explaining and helping me and will take everything you said into consideration!

Sent from my iPhone using Growerflow
bluebutterfly123

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Welcome Peas,lettuce, radishes, carrots and some beans like string beans also grow quickly.. You'll get crop by the time frost hits as well.. Do u can try those too.. I find if I grow them in small potting trays they seem to grow much faster than the ones I plant in the beds.. So maybe start them in seeding trays?
Another thing u can do is go to a shop and see what are the growth rates of the plants, on the seed packets.. And grab any that u like that are within the 90 days maturity time frame.. For us here in Ontario, Canada we have until early October to grow plants.. Then it starts getting too cold..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Gardening questions”