Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Making your own aquaponic system

🤗 Whatever there is to share and ask about.
Ava R.

Making your own aquaponic system

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 am

Just wanted to talk about my aquaponic system and how I got it for so cheap. (I will post a picture at the bottom)
Ok so I got my ten gallon tank for around 10 bucks because they were having a dollar per gallon sale. I got my plants for around twenty bucks.... I got the real plants for around ten bucks. I bought rocks at the dollar store for three bucks, and I bought the fish for 33 cents each. I bought a lid for the top to put the plants (and to keep the cat out..) 10 bucks. And finally I got the air stone, pump, tubing, and valve for around twenty bucks. In total I spent around 60 ish bucks give or take. I looked online for the 5 gallon ones and they were about 50 bucks without the plants and medium and nets. Fish food and conditioner were not more than ten bucks.

I haven't bought anything hydroponic because hey your can make them from scratch. Within a week my tank was cycles and ready to go!!

The peace lilies !!

And the two fish enjoying their new home, splash and bubbles.

I hope you enjoyed the diy project, maybe one of you can do it too!!! Very inexpensive and easy to set up. (Btw I haven't added the plants yet because my dad hasn't cut open the top for the plants to fit into.)

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Ava R.

Re: Making your own aquaponic system

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 am

Thinking about adding a pleco (plecostomus also know as a bristlenose catfish) to help maintain the algae growth. I have no filter because the plant acts like one! The fish are fertilizer to the plant and the plant cleans their water supply. All I need to do I feed the fish and top off the water once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Growerflow
Alaura02

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Wow! I have a spare 10 gallon from my aquarium hobby so I might have to try hydroponics out;)

Posted with Growerflow mobile app

Ava R.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Hydroponics and aquaponics are to different things. Aquaponics is like making your own ecosystem while hydroponics you have to supplement and care for. I heard someone left their aquaponic system and when they came back the plants were thriving and the fish were super big.

Sent from my iPhone using Growerflow
Sanna
Site Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 am

Very nice setup! I'm following this topic to se how it develops. Please keep us posted when you add the flowers!
Ava R.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:05 am

I added the flowers and they are looking great so far. I am also thinking about adding tomatoes since I got a few grow lights!
Ava R.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:06 am

Return to “Other Tips, Tools & Techniques”