Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Indoor seedling help

👉 hangout for all other veggies. What do you grow and how do you grow them? 🥕
blackflames123

Indoor seedling help

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

Image Image hello everyone, I’ve been starting some seedlings under a 2 ft sun blaster fluorescent grow light I bought recently that I set up on a bookshelf in my room. I was wondering if this is too much or not enough light for the seedlings, and if I can raise the light to accommodate for the growth on my bell peppers because I don’t have anywhere else to put them, as any other location wouldn’t give them enough light. I also have a carnivorous sundew on the shelf and they like lots of sunlight. Seeds I’m starting: sweet basil, California wonder peppers, butter crunch lettuce, oregano, thyme, spinach, purple basil, green beans, eggplants, grand bell peppers, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, jalapeños, broccoli, petunias, pansys, zinnias, iceberg lettuce, parsley, lavender, mint, ghost peppers, and cilantro.

smichaelides85

Re: Indoor seedling help

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:20 am

Wow that looks good, is it easy to start?
blackflames123

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 am

smichaelides85 wrote:Wow that looks good, is it easy to start? Image
If you’re talking about the light and trays and everything yes it was pretty easy to make. I just used some extra hanging wire we had to hang the light using two screws on the bookshelf and I made a reflector for the light with foam board and aluminum foil. The sun blaster was 30 bucks at my local hydroponics store and it’s been working well so far. I just started a bunch of random seeds I had on hand to test the light and see how it works and the lettuce and parsley seedlings got a little leggy but other then that it works well.
smichaelides85

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 am

Ok can you leave me some feedback on my post please, as just started with growing herbs and veg.
Treadstone

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:31 pm

The nice thing about florescent is they usually don't burn plants if they grow too close to the light. Your set up looks pretty good to me, though I would raise the light gradually if you're looking for bigger plants. Make them stretch and branch out a little!

Maybe even get a second light for plants you don't want to get leggy? That's the thing about growing indoor under lights, sometimes you need like, 3 or 5 lights to accommodate exactly what you want to grow, since not everything needs/wants the same amount of light.