Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Topping Tomato Plants and growing new Plants from Cuttings

🍅 We love to grow Tomatoes! Outdoors, indoors, in containers, upside down 🙃 and any other way.
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Some of my Tomato Plants have been growing a little bit taller than I was hoping. Luckily, there are several ways to fix this. One way is to plant the Tomato Plant deeper when you repot it, and another way is to cut the top of the Plant. I decided to top this Plant, because that will give me a nice cutting to root, and suddenly I will have two plants instead of one. :-)

Simply cut the top. Place the cut just above one set of leaves.

Place the Cutting in a glass of water.

Tomato Cuttings are usually growing roots very fast, you should see the first roots within a couple of days. I really enjoy watching this process. There is so much power in Tomato Cuttings!

Let them grow until there are more roots, and the roots look thick and healthy. Change the water in the glass every now and then. I usually plant mine when they look like this:

Now simply plant the Cutting and give the Plant a good watering over the next days.

Now you have two Tomato Plants, and they should both be just fine. :-)

Sanna
Site Admin

Re: Topping Tomato Plants and growing new Plants from Cuttings

Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Moved two of the Tomato Plants grown from Cuttings outdoors to a larger pot today. They will have to share the space - but I hope that they will be fine. 

heatherdarko

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Ooh! They look fabbo Sanna! I've got some tomato cuttings in a glass rooting up too!

I notice you use green grass clippings as mulch for your containers. Not too much nitrogen you don't find? I would like to do the same but I was nervous about overloading the plants on nitro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sanna
Site Admin

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:58 pm

The grass klippings is great on my Tomatoes. I'm not using that much - and so far, they seem happy. :-)
Ava R.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:06 am

Rooting hormone ?
Sanna
Site Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 am

Ava R. wrote:Rooting hormone ?
Nope, no Rooting Hormone used. They're doing fine with just Water and Sun. 
Ava R.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm

How??!!! I have tried SO many times... Nothing!
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:18 am

Ava R. wrote:How??!!! I have tried SO many times... Nothing!
Try to cut it in an angle when you cut it of (the angle should be around 45 degrees). Not a straight cut, but an angled so you get a longer area where roots will grow from. I'm not always paying attention to that, but it can help. Put the Cutting in a glass of water. Leave the glass with the cutting on a window sill to make sure that it gets some sun. Change the water every third day to keep it fresh.
Also, you need to be patient. :-) It might take 3 weeks until you have roots.
Ava R.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:09 pm

I find it easier to grow from seed. Will try again on my new plants.
Ava R.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:53 am

I am growing a rose plant from cutting, can you add a rose growing section?
Sanna
Site Admin

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Ava R. wrote:I am growing a rose plant from cutting, can you add a rose growing section?
You can place that post in Any other Sharing Section for now. :-)
Ava R.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 am

Ok thanks.
nige

Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Fantastic photographs, very informative.. Do you think you could propagate late in the season, keep them in the house over winter and bring them out next spring?
What type/variety are they?
nige
Sanna
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 pm

nige wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 pm
Fantastic photographs, very informative.. Do you think you could propagate late in the season, keep them in the house over winter and bring them out next spring?
What type/variety are they?
nige
Thank you! Not sure about the variety. And I do think that it would be perfect to take a cutting in the end of the season and keep them indoors. It's a very good idea. I should try it. Especially now that I have my basement with grow lights. The temperature is more stable in there, and light conditions are good so I'm guessing they would do really good there. Have you tried this method?
nige

Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I have tried to propagate cuttings,
VERY POSITIVE RESULTS...
My cuttings were taken from the top and suckers the day before our first frost, They were heirloom tomatoes crossed with other heirloom types. Also used hormone powder and put them in rainwater, rooted, and then placed in a medium sized pot, placed in a S. Facing window. Watering was moderate, no flooding. Transferring to a larger pot after SUBSTANUAL growth.
Benefits.
I had plants that were much larger, about 2 foot high, stronger, thicker stalks and leaf stems, more vigorous, greener and just looked healthier.. Thanks to the green house I was able to transplant first week in March, before 3 frosts and had flowers by the first week in April. I removed the first flowers so the plant would grow stronger roots.
Main differences gained
Have already consumed fantastic flavored, dark brown tomatoes, (color due to crossing) at least 5-6 weeks earlier than those from seeds and grown alongside the "clones" from last year..
Plans
Going to let suckers and tops grow and harvest as many as I can from the "healthiest plants in the garden (possibly 50+ would be nice) if I am able to get more great!!. I want to give the clones to other local growers to see if they clones flourish under their different conditions.
All I can say is, a very satisfying experience that advances the growing season to all year.....
nige
Kamsare

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 am

Hey, yea ill try getting a pic up soon. the leafs are curling down towards the stem. the leafs also seem to have shurnk inward and folded they are not fanning out or looking like a healthy leaf they almost look like claws.

Should you adored this post and also you want to acquire more details regarding Do Quick Picks win more often generously go to our own webpage