Psst.. while you're here.. Don't forget to check the Recent Topics or to make someone happy by answering any of the Unanswered Topics

Trying to grow tomatoes from slices- they’re getting mildly

Do you have a random question? 👉 Ask it here.
Want to make someone happy? Follow this section and help out when you can. 💕
Nike

Trying to grow tomatoes from slices- they’re getting mildly

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:46 pm

I’m trying to grow tomato plant from slices, potted them in a fresh potting mix and everything. This was started on Tuesday, around Thursday I woke up to some mold on the soil, I scrapped it off and tried to look at the slices itself, which are all moldy (white spider web like stuff). Ended up just covering it with soil and dusting some cinnamon powder on it. But I’m worried that the slices have gone bad and won’t sprout. I’d love to know if this is common and whether I should try to re-pot the whole thing or what to see where this goes. This is my first time gardening, also I’m trying to water them just enough to get the soil moist.

Thank you!

CrystalDyes

Re: Trying to grow tomatoes from slices- they’re getting mildly

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 am

Have you tried planting the slice just like you would any other seed? It seems to me that the whole slice needs to be covered with soil to protect it from airborne mold spores.
AntNEWBE

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

The tomato is what’s growing mold try and pull the seeds out of it and plant them in the soil. Make sure the there is enough light and air to kill the mold too!
Mixerman

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Mine showed mould just ignore it just make sure cups have holes so doesn’t get boggy soil mould with reduce...
Phyllisburke

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 am

Yeah!! One should make sure that there are a lot of lights.